Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A few questions

Accepted Solution Solved
Avid Listener
Accepted Solution

A few questions

[ Edited ]

I'm implementing Act! Premium 10 (2008) for a group of 6 users, and have a couple of questions.  We are sharing a database on a dedicated network server, with no need for remote databases or synchronization.

1)  I've got Scheduler set up to back up our database to another network drive on a daily basis.  I can backup the database manually to this drive, but cannot get Scheduler to do it on an automated basis.  I've followed the instructions in the Knowledge Base about modifying the Act Scheduler service item to use "this account" rather than "local system account", and I've checked all the sharing and security on all the drives (sources and target).  The error I'm getting in the Scheduler log is "Failed to log into the database. Error accessing or processing a PAD file."  I've confirmed that the login information in the scheduler is correct (it validates it upon entry also).

2) Is there a way to limit access to Opportunities without having to make them private?  We have a couple of users that should not have access to the financial information tracked in each opportunity, but others need full access.  I know we can limit access to the contacts associated with the opportunity and the opportunity will then inherit that security, but that's pretty awkward.

3) Is there any way to make the activity "invitation" display more prominently?  The popup window goes away, and the icon in the Act system tray is very easy to miss.  Also, when someone declines a meeting is there any way to tell without opening the meeting and clicking on "show invitation status"?

Thanks!

Patrick

Message Edited by patvaughn on 06-26-2008 01:04 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author patvaughn
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: A few questions

1. When not logged in you don't have the drive mappings. You need to use "This Account" as you've seen and set the backup to UNC, not a mapped path.

2. You could try creating a new layout without the Opportunity Tab for the users who shouldn't see them and remove the Opportunity items from the menu and tool bars ... I haven't tried it and it's not secure as they could add it back if they know how. It would be a good idea if Ops could default to Limited Access in Premium as Contacts/Companies/Groups can

3. I don't think so.

You might post requests for these features to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature
Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

As to the scheduler, it will not access the database via a mapping, it needs to see the database as a local database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor

I don't mean to be contrary, but all my Scheduled tasks are on a computer with mapped access to the ACT data. The only features I can think of that are not available to mapped locations are ACTDIAG (which must run on the machine hosting the database), and database restore - which can only be done locally. There may be others, but I know the Scheduler feature can be used on non-local databases.

If the scheduled task was successfully created, then ACT approved the login account used to schedule the task. It's curious that during the execution of that task it would disapprove the same account.

Is this being done after hours? Could a power management feature or even a group policy be interfering with the access to the mapped drive?

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Solution
Accepted by topic author patvaughn
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

1. When not logged in you don't have the drive mappings. You need to use "This Account" as you've seen and set the backup to UNC, not a mapped path.

2. You could try creating a new layout without the Opportunity Tab for the users who shouldn't see them and remove the Opportunity items from the menu and tool bars ... I haven't tried it and it's not secure as they could add it back if they know how. It would be a good idea if Ops could default to Limited Access in Premium as Contacts/Companies/Groups can

3. I don't think so.

You might post requests for these features to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature
Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Avid Listener

That was it Mike, thanks.  I replaced the mapped path with the UNC drive path, and it worked fine.  It would be nice if that were put in the knowledge base, because it seems like a fairly common problem that a lot of users would encounter.
Avid Listener

Yep - just like that one.