Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A few questions for managing customers within Act

A few questions for managing customers within Act

Hello there,

The company I work for are starting to use Act. We are a reasonably small company, so would only have 20-50 active customers at any give time.

When we get a job, we add the customer or business name, we write a note of what the job is, and fill out the rest. In the Last results column, we have created out own options to select such as "in proposal stages" ; "job ongoing" ; "awaiting payment" and "job complete" etc - now I am wondering is there a way, to hide customers/jobs when they are marked "job complete" ?

I am asking because, in our weekly meeting, we print out a sheet with all our ongoing jobs, be they in the early stages or the collection stages and we discuss what it going on with it - obviously if a job is complete we no longer need to discuss it - so we don't need to see it, and I don't want it to print out along side all of the other active jobs.  I don't want to delete the customers as if they decide to do more business with us, we have all their details, notes from previous jobs etc...

Staying with the theme of customers "job complete" are we able to set an automatic reminder to the record creator/owner to call them after say 2 weeks or a month, to follow up, a courtesy call? is this possible?  - I know how to do it for individual contacts, but not groups based on the "Latest results" column

If none of this is possible using the "latest results" column, is there an alternative way to address the situation.

Thanks,

Tim

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: A few questions for managing customers within Act

Have you thought about using Opportunities to track this?

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

Hi Tim, Could you please expand on where you are in the program and how you print off your jobs? It sounds like you are in the Contacts section of the program, is that the case? If you could explain step by step how you print off your jobs that would really help. I think the solution would be to perform a lookup and omit and contacts where the Last results fields was set to job complete, but I need to know your full process first before I'll know if that would work.

With regards to the automatic reminder, yes that would be possible by creating a Smart Task. The idea behind this would be that you could set up a Smart Task to check your database for any contact that has been marked as job complete. If it finds any, it could then create a To-Do that would appear in the record manager's calendar either 2 weeks or a month from when the job was marked complete.

The below articles advise what Smart Tasks are and how to set them up:

What are Smart Tasks in Sage ACT!?

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26777

How do I create and manage Smart Tasks in Act!?

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26944

If you would like extra help in setting the Smart Task up, you could contact Act! technical support, or I could provide some instructions here if you prefer.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the prompt response.

So the situation is this:

I am in the contact screen, the I click print screen and it prints out what I need (there are a couple of extra pages due to formatting of the columns) I've tried exporting to excel, but there are too many columns and it makes printing out a pain due to the format. If there was a way of just printing, cust/job name, record manager and last results that would be great and skip all the others like address etc (though i want to keep them on the contact screen).

I have since been able to add "last results" to the customer screen as a tab, which is great, - I guess I can sort by that, group all the "job completes" and I wonder if there is a way to just hide them!?

We do occasionally use the task tab, but due to some of the sales guys not really using the program to its full potential, eg. creating call backs, appoints etc - we revert to using the customer screen as it has all active customers. Maybe in time when the sales guys start using the program more and start loggin each interaction, it may show up under the task tab??

Great, thanks a lot for the tutorial on how to set up the reminders, I'll read through that and set them up - am i right in thinking there is no way to set it up to do this automatically, I'd have to go in each week and create a task to find all jobs marked as compete and to set up a reminder for them -  I can't set it so that as soon as it is set as complete, it will trigger a reminder to go out in 2-4 weeks?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Tim

Bronze Elite Contributor

When you export from the list view to Excel it uses the fields in your list. You can use the Customise Columns to only show you the fields you want to export.

Hi Tim, thanks very much for explaining the situation.

When it comes to printing the Contact list view, Act! will print out the columns and contacts that you currently have in your list. So if you were only wanting to print specific columns, you would need to change the columns you are looking at by clicking on Options in the top right corner, then clicking on Customise columns. The only problem with this is that once you are finished, you would need to customise your columns again to bring back the ones you want to see.

Alternatively, you could think about running a report. It would be possible to customise one of the existing report templates to be able to show only the information you would like to see. Editing reports can be quite a complex procedure however, so you may decide that amending the columns as suggested above would be the easier method.

If you did want to take a look at creating a report, the article below will help:

How to run and manage reports in Act!
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14022

Now with regards to omitting contacts that are "job complete" it is certainly possible to do this by performing a lookup. To start off with you would need to click on the Lookup menu, and then choose the option for Other Fields. This will give you a pop up window, and you will need to select the options in the screenshot below:

Screenshot 1.png

When you click OK this will then show you a list of all your contacts that do not have job complete in the Last Results field. Once you have printed out the list of contacts and you want to go back to all of your contacts again, you can click on the Lookup menu again, and select the option for All Contacts.

Finally with regards to the Smart Tasks, you can set this up to happen automatically. Essentially, you would need to set up a Smart Task on the PC or server that hosts your database (as this should be a computer that is left switched on all the time). The Smart Task would be set up to run every morning, and it would be looking for contacts where the last results is equal to job complete. You would need to tick the option to run only once for each contact as well. Next you would add the step that you want, so schedule an activity for the record manager. Finally, the smart task needs to be set to run automatically, and in the Tools menu you'd need to set up offline smart tasks. Following all of that, then the reminder will happen automatically.

I know those instructions above are not too in-depth but hopefully they will be enough. If you need step by step guidance on setting up the smart task then it might be best to speak to tech support.

Hope this helps Tim!