Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A few questions and problems.

A few questions and problems.

Hello good people.

I have recently purchased ACT Premium 2008 ver 10. I now have a database on my PC with 1200 contacts. Does ACT even use dual core processors? I am using 2GB of RAM and a 2.1 Ghz AMD dual core processor on Vista Home Premium and it seems ACT is very sluggish.

For instance if I pull up all 1200 or even just 600 using the Contact List button and click "Tag All" it takes a good 40+ seconds to highlight all the contacts. That seems like a long time for such a simple task. The next concern is the use of Office 2003's Outlook. It seems like ACT has a heart attack when you try to email more than a few people at a time. It till freeze up for an entire minute or two and finally open the email screen where I can type the message. After I create a message and hit send, it takes a good 5 minutes before anything happens and it stops thinking. Then I have to open Outlook or the emails never send, they just sit there in the Outbox and never go. Am I doing something wrong here?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: A few questions and problems.

As a general rule, the processor speed is of lesser importance with the ACT! program. You did not mention the RPM speed of your hard drive which is more important to ACT! performance than the processor speed.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: A few questions and problems.

As Roy said, ACT! can be slow if the hard drive is a 5400rpm drive... processor speed is usually only important on a server with multiple concurrent users.

ACT! can only put the emails in the Outlook Outbox. It's up to Outlook to send it.

If you want to send large numbers of merged emails you should try wither MergeMaster or SwiftPage