Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

9.0 crashes after adding new contact

9.0 crashes after adding new contact

I've tried many different ways to add a new contact and no matter which way I add it Act! always crashes when I click on save or just hit okay.  And checking for the new contact after restarting Act! shows that it has been added.  And it's not just me.  Every person that uses Act! in my office experiences the same problem.  Our version of Act! has been customized by someone else so I'm not sure if how things are laid out and connected is the problem, but any help in troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: 9.0 crashes after adding new contact

Try opening the ACTDemo database and add a contact record there. If the problem doesn't happen there, you have database problems.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks for the quick response.  I did as you suggested.  The demo works.  So I have a database problem.  Um... what does that mean?  Do I have to build a database from scratch?  What can I do to determine where the problem lies in the database?
Nickel Elite Contributor

First, go to Tools | Database Maintenance | Check and Repair. If that does not fix the problem, backup the database and then run the ACT! Diagnostic ( Start | Run |type ACTDIAG | click OK ). There are several database repair functions there. If none of that works, you will need a database repair. Sage offers such a service but Techbenders also has a repair service through our website. We would be able to give you a free assessment as to whether we could repair the database and the cost.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Do you get an error message when it crashes? If so what's the error?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

The error message I get is "The application has encountered an error and has been shut down.  Would you like ot report the error?"  The version is ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (ST Edition) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1, English (United States).  Schema version, if that makes a difference is 9.0.1.0152.0000.

Hi,

This is a well known issue with ACT! please go through the KB#22381 from www.act.com got to "support" then choose "Knowledgebase"

then for "choose product" choose "all" then on the "search by" use "answer id" then on the search text type "22381".

but to make things simple. you can uninstall the all the .net framework from add or remove programs then download a plain 2.0 from the microsoft website then rerun the program.. this should do the trick... also dont forget to backup your database before you do all the steps above.

Your humble servant,

Patrix

Pro-ACT! Movement

I uninstalled and reinstalled .net framework as suggested in the knowledgebase, but I still have the same problem.  I created a new database and imported all the info, and it works with no problems, but that's not a solution.  I then went back to the original database and I added a contact without assigning a company and it works with no problems.  Then I assigned the company and it crashes.  So why would it crash when I assign a company and what can I do to troubleshoot this problem (new to Act!, but not databases)?

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

If the same procedure works with one database but causes problems with another database then the database where the problem is occurring is damaged somehow.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Hi,

This only means on thing.. the database is indeed corrupted! try this Knowledgebase article "14349" (Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures)

If this would not work then you should stick with the new database where you imported your files at or go to www.act.com then choose "support" then "database maintenance" then follow the procedures from there..

Hope this helps.. 

Your humble servant,

Patrix

Pro-ACT! Movement