Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

280 contacts deleted - all in the same 2 minutes

Silver Super Contributor

Re: 280 contacts deleted - all in the same 2 minutes

Corruption in the SQL database that coincidentally deleted 200 contacts and didn't cause any other issues.  It could happen.  Just never seen it happen.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Stan, don't forget that it also had to create the History entries.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

If admin did not do it has someone else used his credentials?

[ Edited ]

Thought about that- he uses a complex pw, and we ruled that out.  He was logged in at his workstation at the time, although he maintains that he had it minimized and was not actively using ACT anytime near the time that it happened.

Database corruption- nope, it wouldn't have left a history behind.

Still trying to find the commonality in the actual contacts that were deleted, but there seems to be nothing whatsoever to link them.  Some were active ongoing customers where others were dead leads not touched for two years.  I can't even figure out how a lookup would have produced the results to bring those same contacts up, which supports ruling out that possibility.

I know at this point I should apply Occam's Razor and deduct that he must have done it, inteionally or not, but I have extreme doubts about that- it caused him more grief than anyone in the company - other than myself, but at the same time I can't help but feel that this is some crazy bug that just reared up and wrecked random contacts.. for whatever reason.. maybe it has to do with some consistency in customer numbers or unique data.. who knows?

My real concern is that not knowing, and therefore not protecting against it happening again, leaves us vulnerable to it triggering again, but I'm out of ideas.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Of course there is an easy check - just look at the History of the Admin user and it will detail who has been deleted or find it on another user's History.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

dshaw- The history shows that the admin user (name) did it.  He is the sales manager, and administrates ACT for his team.  He assures me nobody knows his PW, and that he was in fact logged in during the time it happened, but was not using the software at, or anywhere near the time that the records were deleted.  If someone had tried to log in as him, it would have kicked him off.  If he accidentally hit delete, there's a double-confirmation he is well aware of and could not have missed.

The amazing thing again about this is 280 records deleted in a 2-minute period, but all records are completely unrelated and would have been impossible to have on the same lookup screen, so how can someone mass delete that many unique contacts in that little of a timespan?  The only explanation left is that the deletion was somehow automated or system initiated, and the "are you sure?" dialogue being skipped.  

Bug?  I don't know.

Platinum Elite Contributor

A lookup of unrelated contact can be made in several ways the easiest being tagging the contacts in the list view and doing a create lookup from there.

If someone on another workstation station logged in using the admin's credentials, the login would be accepted and not blocked nor the first login terminated.

In my 22 years working with the ACT! program, half of that in tech support, I've never seen a true case of a spontaneous deletion of contact records. Any mass deletion was always caused by an addin program or operator error.

Correct me if I;m wrong but from your posts it doesn't sound like you're a regular user of the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You are correct- I support it, but don't use it.  I spend 90% of my time in ACT on the back end.

I don't disagree with your sentiments, however, when I attempted to log in as that user, a pop-up informed me that continuing to log in would kick the user off the other workstation.. I didn't continue to confirm it actually happens, but thought it was safe to assume?

Silver Contributor

It sounds like the log-on you mention is via Terminal Server or remote Desktop rather than ACT.
Highlighted

No TS here, simply server-client on a standard windows domain.