Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2009 synchronization issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

2009 synchronization issue

Premium sits on a server and syncs with a couple of laptops OK.  They each have their own RDB (remote database) files.  A third laptop says it syncs OK and the log files look OK but the field "Database updated through..." is not changing it's date.  The user also gets a warning saying he has not updated for 17 days.  His changes are not appearing for the other users.

I don't want to just create him a new RDB as we would lose the changes he has made locally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ralphw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2009 synchronization issue

Here is the best way to do this:

- Make a backup of the old remote database

- Copy the backup file (.zip) to the local drive of the server

- Restore the backup locally on the server (use the "Restore As" option)

- Open the main database on the server and go to File > Import to import the data from the restored copy of the remote

* Be sure to make a backup of your main database prior to the import

You can refer to the following Knowledgebase articles for instructions to import from one database to another:

How To Import Contact Data From an Existing ACT! Database Into Another ACT! Database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello ralphw,

This could be an issue with the sync objects. You can try to resolve by rebuilding the sync objects on both the main and the remote databases, then run maintenance (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair). Instructions to rebuild sync objects are in KB Article 19642. If this does not resolve, then you will most likely need to create a new remote database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the reply.  Obviously the user does not want to lose any changes he has made since his last successful sync in early June.  I recreate the RDB but then I cannot sync as the change in database is detected. 

I can see that re creating the RDB was the wrong thing to do!!  I have restored the original RDB from last nights tape backup.  However Synchronize is now greyed out on the client PC.  I'm going from bad to worse.  Where is the link between the client and the RDB made.  I don't want to unpack and restore as this would lose all changed data as mentioned before.

If you used the "Restore As" option when you restored the database, that would have broken the sync. At this point, I would go ahead and import the data from the restored remote database directly into the main database, then create a brand new remote for the user. If they were using a unique set sync set, I would also create a new sync set for them as well.

Greig Hollister

OK that is probably the way I'll have to go.  Could you please help with the right way to do  this.  

I need to backup / make a copy of the remote database from his laptop and import / merge it into the main database on the server which others also sync to via their remote databases.  

I have tried (and failed) to make a copy of the database from the laptop onto the server as it says the copy must be on the same PC.  I see there is the option to backup, which creates a zip file but once extracted there is no pad file.

I can't see the wood for the trees at present.

Thanks

Solution
Accepted by topic author ralphw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Here is the best way to do this:

- Make a backup of the old remote database

- Copy the backup file (.zip) to the local drive of the server

- Restore the backup locally on the server (use the "Restore As" option)

- Open the main database on the server and go to File > Import to import the data from the restored copy of the remote

* Be sure to make a backup of your main database prior to the import

You can refer to the following Knowledgebase articles for instructions to import from one database to another:

How To Import Contact Data From an Existing ACT! Database Into Another ACT! Database

Greig Hollister