Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

10,000 foot view of what I need

10,000 foot view of what I need

I could use a little help with understanding the 10,000 foot view of what I need in terms of how things work with newer version of ACT on networks.

My company is using ACT 5.0 and I wish to upgrade to something newer - 10.0, 11.0..  We'll have about 20 users, half of which are remote, other half on LAN. We have about 10,000 ACT records and I have a WIN2003 server for hosting.  I wish to use Web rather then sync for remotes.  I also know I have a migration issue moving from ACT 5 to ACT 10 or 11.  With all of that:

1. I would then puchase 10 web and 10 LAN clients.  I presume they can intermix with the one database, yes?

2. How does the client licensing work?  If I have 10 web and 10 LAN, does that mean then that I have 20 connections? Could I have 15 LAN and 5 web at some point in time, or does the server enforce 10 and 10?

3. The web clients will connect via HTTP as any web site does.  What do the LAN clients do? ACT 5.0 uses CIFS (map network drive).  Is that the protocol for later LAN clients, or is it straight TCP?  If straight TCP, how does the authentication work (by IP address?, name login?).  Can a new user use an existing client when an prior employee leaves the company?

4. I think I need Premium EX and SQL Express is OK.. Yes? (say 10K to 20K client records and 20 users)  What are Workgroups?  Do I need that instead?  Is that the same as EX?

5. If I later need 1 more license, can I buy one of those ACT premium clients that come in boxes at Fry's and Micro Center and install it?  Or is there some special stuff that needs to happen to expand connections following initial installation?

6. I think I also need a client license for the WIN2003 server, yes?  Does it need to be a LAN client, or can a web client work?  I know this message board is not about pricing, but are there different prices for web clients vs. LAN clients in general, or is that really a sales negotiation thing?

Thanks for any help!

Bill

Re: 10,000 foot view of what I need

1.  We provide dual access licensing (Corporate Edition).  Meaning the 20 licenses that you will need to purchase will  be for both Web and Workgroup.

2.  license means how many active users for a database.  You can have up to 20 active unique users within a single database.

3.  With LAN users can install ACT! Premium for Workgroups locally and access the shared database on the server.

4.  For 20 users, the EX edition is fine.  The only limitation is that there is a 4GB limit to the database.

5.   The license will not be dual access.  You should contact your ACT! sales rep to purchase any additional licenses.

6.  No, you will not need a license unless someone will be using ACT! regularly on the server.

ACT! Premium–Corporate Edition may be purchased only through the ACT! Corporate Licensing Sales Team or an ACT! Certified Consultant (ACC). For more information, call 866-903-0006. To find an ACC in your area, click here.

Thanks David!

You're info is a big help.

One point... you mentioned ACT Premium for workgroup for connecting LAN clients to the server, and then later answer my question that EX is fine.

So it sounds like Premium for workgroups and Premium EX are different things, and that either would do what I need.  Is there some place where the two are contrasted, or can you tell me the differences between them?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my questions sir.

Bill

No, they are the same product. We have two versions of Premium - EX and ST.  The only difference is the version of SQL being used.

Thanks David once again.

I think I have what I need to plan then.

Have a great Christmas and New Year also.

Bill

Copper Contributor

Hi, just wondering if I can chip in here.  There's some great info here and it almost answers an issue I was wrestling with....

Regarding Bill's question as to whether a single ACT database can be used as a source for both remote synchronisation and web access, I wasn't completely clear from the answer if it can.  If it were possible, it would certainly ease the problem of getting one of our Transatlantic users hooked up to our database.  I run v10 and I'm aware that the distribution kit comes with both Web and non-web versions - but I didn't know if they could be mixed. Or is that a function of v11 Corporate only?

Andy

Nickel Contributor

Certainly a web database can also serve as a host for synching, as well, but there are many circumstances where this is not advised. For instance, setting up ACT for Web on a domain controller is lunacy, even though it would work, and can be used as a synch host.

My preferred setup is to have the web database itself be a synch client, so that the synch host is free to be located anywhere on your network - including the domain controller. Once this setup is complete, you can use ANY workstation on your network, with ACT! installed, to be the sync server, provided they access the central database as a network share.

For instance, I have our central database on our LAN server, the sync service configured to host on my workstation, and APFW configured as a separate RDB database on a third workstation, which syncs with the server through my workstation. The benefit of this setup is I do not have to have the APFW server be a part of the domain network's Active Directory.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca