Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screen popping a contact based on phone number

Screen popping a contact based on phone number

We have been able to use the Web API to search for companies based on a phone number.  This gives us the ability to to use the ID to open a URL that takes us directly to the company. The URL looks something like: http://actserver/companies?id=1234567890

However we want to do the same for contacts, as they are for the most part more useful.  We are able to search by phone number and find the ID for a contact, however we not able to screen pop in the same way.

is there a reason why we cannot pop Contacts via the web API.  For information, we are able to do this on the locally installed version.

thank you

Nick Hawes 

Employee

Re: Screen popping a contact based on phone number

Valid issue for the core product, we need to support restful URLs (IDs in the URLs) for all record types, currently it's a bit inconsistent as you've noted.

--Xavier

Thank you for the reply!  Does that mean you guys can review this, and get back to me if it will be added?

Employee

We have indeed added this to the backlog, and can circle back here when it is addressed.

Thank you Xavier

Hi Xavier,

Do you have any timescales on if you will be able to support this please?  We have a number of ACT! customers requesting integration to ACT! Premium cloud.  We currently have to turn then away based on this problem.  thank you

Employee

Just to clarify,

Are you saying you can't access contacts from the API with its unique identifier?

/api/contacts/01fda2df-92fd-402f-a433-068640f245b7

/api/contacts?id=01fda2df-92fd-402f-a433-068640f245b7

both of these URLS should result in the proper contact. Can you provide me with the API version, or maybe I am miss understanding the issue.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Just to clarify:

we are able to search for a Contact and get a result, however we are not able to use the unique identifier in the URL to screen pop.

This does work for Companies however, i.e. we search for a company based on the phone number, retrieve the unique identifier and use it in the URL to screen pop.

to add, we define a screen pop as what you might call it a shareable link, like the "share" button some websites have: a URL you can send to a colleague that they can use to go directly to that contact or company in Act.

We tested this in June 2017, not sure what version of the API that was sorry.

Just to be clear, this is still not working in the premium cloud version of he web api.

So why does putting this in a URL in a browser navigate to the correct page (for a company entity):

https://usp1-iis-08.hosted1.act.com/sitename/companies/companydetail.aspx?id=db201304-e821-4276-a329...

but this (contact entity) does not:

https://usp1-iis-08.hosted1.act.com/sitename/contacts/contactdetail.aspx?id=1c376e27-1007-49ef-a3f1-...

Presumably any page supporting the display of an entity shoudl be able to take the internal id as an argument? But especialyl contacts.... 

Given this was raised several months ago, is there any timescale on this fix at all?

Thanks.

Administrator

Hi Sgregory6767,

You're right that this method of directly access contacts through the URL is not currently possible - due to the way the contactDetail.aspx page handles navigation between contacts.

I've asked our Product team for an update on why this was designed in this way - and if there's any update or timescale on adding this capability. Hopefully I'll have some more information for you soon.