Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to update the webApi

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to update the webApi

Hello,

simple question, really: How do I update the webApi on a machine?

In more detail: We meant to update a machine currently running Act! V20.0.159.0, Update 5 (German) and WebAPi 1.0.236.0

The most recent version appears to be 267, but after downloading and running the installer, "version of act already includes the Act! Web API, so this installation is not necessary".

We found out that simply replacing the content in Programs (X86)/ACT/Act.Web.API with the newer files from the download seems to work just fine, the API appears to function. But, that can't be the intended process, can it?

When I called Tech support, the best answer I could get was "reinstall the whole Act! installation", which, frankly, isn't very practical (no offense to the guys, they don't do much support for the WebAPI, I imagine).

Ah, right: The WebApi does NOT show in the windows control panel, so I couldn't uninstall it seperately from Act! itself.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas_Benn-MS
‎05-04-2018 01:45 AM
Employee

Re: How to update the webApi

You can download the latest API updater for the Act! download page.  It always has the latest API releases.

https://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v20

This updater basically does what you did, replaces all the content in the Act.Web.API folder.  However, doing this manually, you may want to save some of the information in the <appSettings> section in the web.config file.

If you change or lose the BearerKey in the web.config file it will invalid all previous generated tokens (refresh tokens only).  You can still generate new tokens.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Why do you want to? It's usually updated with updates to Act! to handle new functions.

I can see v20.1 Update 5 is on the German download page (but not the SP1?). If you can get SP1 and Up5, it should install the latest API as well
Platinum Elite Contributor

Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas_Benn-MS
‎05-04-2018 01:45 AM
Employee

You can download the latest API updater for the Act! download page.  It always has the latest API releases.

https://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v20

This updater basically does what you did, replaces all the content in the Act.Web.API folder.  However, doing this manually, you may want to save some of the information in the <appSettings> section in the web.config file.

If you change or lose the BearerKey in the web.config file it will invalid all previous generated tokens (refresh tokens only).  You can still generate new tokens.

Copper Contributor

Great, thanks Stephen.
Good to know that we kinda got it right after all. Smiley Happy

Any idea why the updater refused to update our installation? We'd rather use the "Official" way in the future (and on customers machines, especially).