Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

An API success story

Bronze Elite Contributor

An API success story

I've been able to successfully connect Excel Power Query and Power Pivot via the API as well as MS Poewr BI. This is really quite exciting stuff for remote reporting.

I've been able to create a data model via PQ to create a dashboard in Power BI and host that Dashboard up to Azure Sharepoint. The critical thing about this is that it allows almost real time reporting that can be accessed by mobile devices..it's a big deal!

Just for giggles I decided to also try calling it from Powershell3...it just worked! I know I shouldn't be surprised...but still cool! Handy for quick and dirty data extraction to csv.

Great stuff guys, very excited with these devlopments, keep up the good work!

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Copper Super Contributor

Re: An API success story

Vivek!

Thank you for this very good news. I really appreciate it.

What is the step to get Power BI & Act! for Web connected? Is this something on the Market Place?

Dave Worral
ACC@Customer-IT.com
ACT! Consultant & Premier Trainer
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hey there Dave,

At the moment it's a little protracted...a 2 step process...I don't consider the authorization methodology production quality as yet, in fact the dev team are busy enabling oAuth2 which will make the whole API much more accessible and easier to work with. Currently you have to create the bearer token using the API help or other means, and then plug that into a custom header for the PBI connection. I tried looking into creating a single M script but I don't think M has the ability to create a base64String encryption.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Copper Super Contributor

Vivek,

You are an amazing resource for this community! Thank you very much for your erudite explanation.

After an hour and 20 minutes of searching for definitions of: oAuth2, PBI an M-Scripts here's my simplified version in terms that customers might understand; There's a two-step process that, for the time being, will require some "techie" set up but then users will be able to create TOTALLY AWESOME dashboards. Do I have that about right?

Dave Worral
Dave Worral
ACC@Customer-IT.com
ACT! Consultant & Premier Trainer
Bronze Elite Contributor

LOL!!!

Ping me an email mate and we can do a quick session over the interwebs. You can use PBI with a direct SQL connection.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog