Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

firing plugin from right clicking over an activity?

Tuned Listener

firing plugin from right clicking over an activity?

Hi,

I've been asked about the possibility of developing a plug in which enables our sales team to automatically send a text message to a client.  Essentially the user will go into the diary, and will be able to right click over the appointment they want, and select something like 'Send SMS' from the dropdown menu.

I've got no issue with writing the rest of the code, but I can't quite figure out if I can add items to the drop down, or if we can only add items to the main menu.  Is this feasible?

Thanks for any suggestions

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: firing plugin from right clicking over an activity?

That's great!  I was asked to look into an SMS example for Devnet downloads - interested in collaborating?

I was planning on making a custom control for the contact detail view that would pop a dialog with the mobile number of the contact prefilled and a text control for the message + a "send" button.

In regards to your specific request:

There are a couple of issues with putting a context control on the Activity view:

1.  It's hard to manipulate that view

2.  There's more than 1 management point for Activities (Activity dialog, calendar, task list view etc...)

3.  An activity has the context of multiple contacts - most SMS Gateways have a single  phone number you can text to.

4.  After sending a SMS you might want to record a history - but again Activity is a difficult context from which to do this

So, how attached are you to doing this from the calendar view versus putting this on a contact detail view? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

I've posted my sample source code to the devnet downloads site for a SMS custom control for ACT!.  It still requires you to code in an SMS gateway but the rest of the control is complete (including record History on send).  Let me know if this helps.
Copper Contributor

Hi Ian,

My name is Duane Morrison Smith and I am the developer of the ACT Mobile Messenger,

which is a sophisticated text messaging Add-On for Act!. We have created a custom activity

called 'Text Message' which can be scheduled just like any activity in Act!. This activity will

be placed in the calendar and when the time arrives the text message will be automatically 

sent using either a template or the activity details. Messages can also be sent from a contact

screen using a template that can call in details from any upcoming activities. In the case

where there are multiple future activities, the user can select the particular activity in

question so that those details are merged into the message.

Automatic reminders are also possible as well as recurring messages.

We also support activity series and smart tasks.

Please take a look or try it out when you get the chance.

Kind regards

Duane

Duane Morrison Smith

ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635

duane@actmobilemessenger.com

www.actmobilemessenger.com

Duane Morrison Smith
ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635
duane@actmobilemessenger.com
www.actmobilemessenger.com