Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

detecting trial expired

detecting trial expired

I work for a company that produces a VoIP product that uses Act to resolve caller Id's.  We use the Act SDK and it all works very well...except in one important case.  If the user is using a trial version of Act and the trial has expired.

Is there a way to discover this at runtime so that our product can stop presenting Act as an available contact source to users?  I have looked through the SDK documentation and cannot find anything.

John

Re: detecting trial expired

Removing support for trial versions would even be acceptable.  Is there any way to detect if Act is installed as a trial version?
Copper Elite Contributor

Well the ghetto and not entirely foolproof method would be to check the registry for keys, example HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ACT\10.0\Keys, if it's not registered, shouldn't have any key entries, obviously you'd change the version to check for different ones.  Possible exceptions include, but are not limited to, having registered act standard/premium, and then installed Act for Web, there would still be a key, but it could still be in trial mode.  That being said, it might be a quick fix until you can find a more proper solution.
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Tuned Listener

When you try to login to an ACT database I seem to remember that you get an execption telling you that the trial has expired. You could trap the error at that point and then inform the user that their trial is out of date

Russell

The exception you refer to is CumulativeUserCountException.

The way our application works is that it presents the user with a list of installed PIMs and only after the user has chosen Act does the log in take place.

It looks like I may have to do a bit of a redesign such that once the user configures our application for Act and an attempt to log in is made, the raising of this exception will let our application know that Act is not available...maybe by displaying a dialog advising the user to get a license.  Smiley Wink

Thanks for your attention!

John