Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which way to access ACT! database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Which way to access ACT! database

[ Edited ]

The version my company use is 2009 standard version. The situation in my company is that we use different softwares to manage different aspects of the business, and all of them involve customer data. To avoid repeatedly enter customer data into different software and potential errors, we intend to develop our own little application and database which behave as the central point for customer data entry/storage and it updates the data in different applications (incluing ACT). Because of this, I need to have access to the ACT database and compare its data with the central database, and do updates/inserts if needed.

My questions are:

1. Is ACTReader available in standard version?

2. If it's not availabe, what are my option to retrieve the data? from my understanding and by looking at the forum it seems I can do it either using OleDb or the SDK, am I right about this? and which way is better?

3. how should I write to the ACT database, by OldDb or SDK?

4. what's the difference between OleDb and OleDb2?

Thanks!!!  this is my first post

Message Edited by Zhili on 11-01-2009 01:27 AM
Message Edited by Zhili on 11-01-2009 03:14 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author zhili
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Which way to access ACT! database

Apologies for the brevity in the previous post.

ACTReader and the OLEDB providers are both Read Only interfaces for accessing ACT! data.  If you will be updating/inserting data into ACT! then you will need to use the API's in the SDK to accomplish this.

I love to use the OLEDB providers to read data in ACT! - I've posted a couple of examples of how to do this in the devnet download forum, and if you're looking for an easy/efficient way to extract data from ACT! the I would certainly recommend the OLEDB providers.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Quick Answers to your queries 

1. Is ACTReader available in standard version? - You can't write through this interface - it's Read Only

2. If it's not availabe, what are my option to retrieve the data? from my understanding and by looking at the forum it seems I can do it either using OleDb or the SDK, am I right about this? and which way is better? 

Retrieve data?-

• SDK  
  • OLEDB
  • etc...
To Write to Date:

• Only SDK 

3. how should I write to the ACT database, by OldDb or SDK?

See above 

4. what's the difference between OleDb and OleDb2?

Not applicable for writing

In summary - to accomplish the integration you describe look into the ACT! SDK 
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Allen.

But why Writing to ACT! using OleDb is "NOT Recommended"?

Solution
Accepted by topic author zhili
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Apologies for the brevity in the previous post.

ACTReader and the OLEDB providers are both Read Only interfaces for accessing ACT! data.  If you will be updating/inserting data into ACT! then you will need to use the API's in the SDK to accomplish this.

I love to use the OLEDB providers to read data in ACT! - I've posted a couple of examples of how to do this in the devnet download forum, and if you're looking for an easy/efficient way to extract data from ACT! the I would certainly recommend the OLEDB providers.

Copper Contributor

Hi Allen, Now I managed to connect to ACT! database and retrieve data using OLEDB, but I also had a look at the OpportunityExample code that you posted and noticed that you use queries like

SELECT dbo.OPPORTUNITY.TOTAL FROM dbo.OPPORTUNITY

But shouldn't it be

SELECT dbo.VRP_OPPORTUNITY.TOTAL FROM dbo.VRP_OPPORTUNITY

?

Nickel Elite Contributor

OLEDB and OLEDB2 providers expose tables in different ways so the first statement you have (the one I posted in a different thread) is an example of accessing the OLEDB2 providerThe statement you posted is an example of accessing this data via the OLEDB Provider.

Thanks for posting both here - a great example of how to retrieve the same data from the 2 different providers.

Employee

The OLEDB2 interface is more complete with access to viewsand functionality that don't exist in OLEDB1. 

Also, it was indicated in version 12.0 that the OLEDB1 functionality would be deprecated in a future version (though it will still be available in 15.0).