Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Very high CPU usage Act! framework and weird errors.

Copper Contributor

Very high CPU usage Act! framework and weird errors.

We have created a customer portal which is connected to Act!. This works already for 8 or 9 years now. 

The portal consists of a) a PHP web application running on a linux webserver, and b) a .NET webforms webservice which does the communication between the portal and Act!. The latter has a reference to the Act! framework dlls.

Every now and then, (and lately very often!) its giving huge problems in that the webservice takes up huge amounts of CPU cycles, and the application is slow as heck. And then sometimes after a few hours it's quick again, and suddenly it can be slow again. Restarting the application pool does not help either.

Another symptom is that we see that the framework generates this error (I'm trying to translate it into English, because the .NET Framework is in Dutch on our servers and so are the error messages):

System.ArgumentExceptoin: An item with the same key has already been added. Key in dictionary: SupplementalFileManager, Key being added: SupplementalFileManager

.. at Act.Framework.ActFramework.FailLogon(Exception ex, TraceCategory tCat, TraceLevel tLevel)

... at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String passWord, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, Boolean fireEvents, Boolean suppressTierCheck, Boolean suppressSchemaCheck, etc.

Greetings,

ACT Certified Consultants
TendenZ
the Netherlands
Administrator

Re: Very high CPU usage Act! framework and weird errors.

Do you have any tools to trace the cpu usage and/or profilers to isolate if it's related to certain calls. I can tell you it's pretty common to find patterns to these kinds of things once you have the data. Sometimes the spike is from a .net memory purge, sometimes it's from things on timers (in our world sync's all at the same time).
I like to use jetbrains .trace and taskinfo 2000 to hunt these issues down myself.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

i've tried .trace but cannot find anything. The problem is with our software as well as with the act! web api, if only the act web api apppool (or the apfw apppool) is active it also spawns IIS Worker Processes with very high CPU load. So it is not related to our software, and also not related (I think) to their database, because on the (shared) database server APFW loads just fine.

There must be something with the Act! framework itself and I cannot get any further in this. Please help!

Greetings,

TendenZ
the Netherlands
Administrator

So, you have seen this on other db's? What I would do is turn up log levels and the logs should show why it's spiking or at least isolate it if you see a large number of calls in a block it would indicate something that would cause high CPU - They are timestamped btw so isolate on the time the spike starts and see in that time range is something stick out - like exceptions over and over again or unable to access file etc. Send us the log and the time(s) the problem started please.
Copper Contributor

Hi Brian,

but which log do you mean? I know the Act!.exe.config log, but that's for act! itself.

This is about an external application (a webservice) which is logging into the Act! framework itself. How do I raise a log level, where? And which log to look at?

Greetings,

TendenZ
the Netherlands
Administrator

Look for "act.web.api.txt" in the base folder of the API and it should contain a log of errors.

Thanks,

Brian

@TendenZ wrote:

Hi Brian,

but which log do you mean? I know the Act!.exe.config log, but that's for act! itself.

This is about an external application (a webservice) which is logging into the Act! framework itself. How do I raise a log level, where? And which log to look at?