Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Very first step to start with the SDK

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

Re: Very first step to start with the SDK

I've figured out how to connect to the database and beat on it a bit.  My next question is this:

Say I want to add a new tab to the contact layout.  I've seen the code to do that in the SDK.  What I can't figure out is where to put that code.  I mean, you write the code to make a new tab, but how does Act! know to execute that code and actually make the tab?  What hooks the two together? 

I've looked in the developer's lounge, but it seems to assume knowledge I don't have yet.

Kevin Varnon

ClientTrax CRM

Kevin@clienttrax.com

785-408-3702

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Compile that code into a plugin dll.  Then put that plugin in the directory called Plugins where you have Act! installed.  Restart Act! and the plugin will load and execute your code.  

Sounds weird I know, but Act! will scan plugins directory looking for dll's with the appropriate interface and load them up and initialize them as part of it's startup.  If it can't load the dll (or doing so provides an unhandled exception) it'll move it to dependencies.xml and ignore it on load.

check out the powerpoint @  http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Developer-s-Forum/Plugin-webinar-deck-and-recording/td-p/66945

It covers some of this.

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

[ Edited ]

Thanks Allen. I found something about using the Init method in a plugin, but that's as far as I got.

And thanks for the quick response!

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com