Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Very first step to start with the SDK

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Very first step to start with the SDK

Read this thread:

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Developer-s-Forum/ACT-Plugin-development-FAQ/td-p/66332

Basically the main thing you want to do is implement IPlugin interface and they you can have studio implment the method stubs.  From there you need to read thread, but hold onto the application object with a class variable as that is you key to accessing all the methods of the sdk.

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

A wise man on one of these threads said to start with the windows version and leave plugins alone for now. 

I have Act! via Web installed.  To follow the wise man's advice, do I need to uninstall Act! via Web and install Act! via Windows? 

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

No you do not need to uninstall APFW. In fact Its the version i always have installed.

With APFW installed I can quickly jump between two solutions; one for the web and one for the desktop.

-- Jim Durkin.

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Jim.

Then we're back to my original problem.  I put all the dll files from the GlobalAssemblyCache folder into another folder.  Then I set a Reference Path to that folder.  The next instruction says to "add a reference to Act.Framework, Act.Shared.Collections, and Act.Shared.ComponentModel.  I don't know that that means.   Does that mean add a Using stmt at the top of my pgm?  If it does, those three libraries don't show up when I type "Using" so I can't do that.

Here are the instructions I got from this thread:

All the dlls you need are in the installation media, and can be found in a folder under the C: drive.

If you installed Act 17 Premium, the path will be, "C:\Act!_Premium_v17\ACTWG\GlobalAssemblyCache" - I got all the dlls from here.

I would suggest you copy this entire folder and save it somewhere else on your drive, and call it the same name as the Act version (e.g. Act17). 

Next,

1. go in your project properties, and

2.  from the "Reference Paths" section,

3. add a reference to this folder.

This will make all assemblies available to you. - I did this.

4. Now add a reference to:  - how to do this?

• Act.Framework
    • Act.Shared.Collections
    • Act.Shared.ComponentModel

5. After adding the references, be sure to select all three, and turn off the "Copy Local" property, or else your build folder will be filled up with all the libraries these 3 rely on.  -don't know how to do this.

6. You should never have to package these Act dlls with your application, because if Act is installed properly, your application will load all neccessary dlls from the  Windows/.Net GAC.

7. From the build tab, change the platform target to x86.

• Act is a 32 bit app and works with other 32 bit apps.

From here, you should be ready to develop an app that uses Act SDK. You will need an object for Act.Framework.ActFramework. Once you have the ActFramework object, you can simply call the LogOn method, and supply your database's PAD file path, and username and password. Below is some sample code for connecting to the Demo database.

- I'm just trying to get this far....

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh708954(v=vs.140).aspx

This link describes how to add a reference in VS 2015. It talks about the reference node in instructions. You may not see that by default. In the toolbar at the top of the solution explorer pane, there is a button to show all files. Click that to show the references node (and everything else). To turn off the Copy Local option, right-click the specific reference (after it's added) and hit Properties. Otherwise, you can select and press F4 (default) to open the Properties pane for that reference. Then, just toggle the Copy Local property.

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking in the Reference Manager for

• Act.Framework
  • Act.Shared.Collections
  • Act.Shared.ComponentModel

I couldn't find them anywhere.  I did a search in all the areas listed on the left and nothing.  Do I need to do something else for them to appear?

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

The are found on the act installer image.

C:\act!_premium_web_v17_sp2x217\ACTForWeb\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir\APFW\bin

I usually copy all the ACT.***.DLLs into a folder on my local drive. It's that folder to where I reference the Act assembles.

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Highlighted
Loyal Listener

OK, the instructions I followed before led me to another folder full of DLLs; not as many as where you led me. 

So, I copied all the DLLs from your folder to the local folder I had set up before.  Since that folder now has many more DLLs than before, I hope the Using stmt shows Act! libraries.  When I reference path the DLL folder, do I have to build the solution once so they will be found?

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Loyal Listener

OH, HAPPY DAY!!

The extra DLLs allowed me to Reference Act.Framework and Act.Shared.Collections.  I still could not reference Act.Shared.CompenentModel.

When I added a Using stmt, I could see Act.Framework.  So I'm a lot closer.

My question now is, what would Act.Shared.CompenentModel have done if I could have referenced it?

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Highlighted
Loyal Listener

I'm having a problem accessing the ContactList class/object.  That makes me think I can't access any of the entities.  Was I supposed to include a specific Using stmt or include a reference to make that accessible?

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com