Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using secondary contacts as full contacts.

Copper Contributor

Using secondary contacts as full contacts.

Hello,

Currently we're thinking of making a plug-in that adds (or replaces the current) a secondary contacts tab where you can manage the secondary contacts from Act.

One of the main reasons for doing this is the current secondary contacts tab doesn't allow us to dial directly to the contact using the Samsung XChange dialing application we use.

Another reason is, we've actually got a lot extra fields, for every contact where we keep the following data

EMAIL2 - SALUTATION2

EMAIL3 - SALUTATION3

EMAIL4 - SALUTATION4

EMAIL5 - SALUTATION5

EMAIL6 - SALUTATION6

Instead of keeping this data in separate fields under every contact, we'd like to add them to the secondary contacts under a contact.

From what I can see in the database, secondary contacts are stored in the same TBL_Contact table, so in theory a secondary contact could have all the same fields accessible that a normal contact does.

So basically, my question is the following:

Can I use a secondary contact in the same way as a normal contact in the SDK. Can I access and fill in all it's fields, even custom fields we've created ourselves?

Employee

Re: Using secondary contacts as full contacts.

Secondary contacts, despite being stored in TBL_Contact aren't treated the same way as primary contacts and as a result have a more limited set of fieldDescriptors available to them that does not include custom fields created for Contacts. 

ContactFieldDescriptor[] secondaryContactFields = _ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetSecondaryContactFieldDescriptors();
 DBFieldDescriptor[] primaryContactFields = _ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetFieldDescriptors();
Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info,

Is there any way around this though? We want to store a salutation for secondary contacts along with things like language, mothertongue and some other data.

Promoting the secondary contacts to full contacts is not really an option for us.

------

Edit: If i just use the list of normal contactfielddescriptors I can actually access more than just the fields in the secondarycontactfielddescriptors. 

So as far as I can see, it should be possible to make a custom secondary contact tab where I give the user access to the same fields primary contacts have.

Any obvious reason I shouldn't do this? The fields are there in the database, So I'm pretty much just using what's already there.
-------

Employee

My only concern was whether you'd be able to call the GetValue and SetValue methods for the field descriptors that are not SecondaryContactFieldDescriptors, if you can however I don't see any issues with what you're trying to do.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator