Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using a tick-box to generate a lookup

Using a tick-box to generate a lookup

I've been asked to add some extra fields to our contacts, each with their own drop-down lists which allow you to select multiple items. This was the easy bit and is done.

The idea is to be able to create a lookup from the contacts based on finding hits to these fields. It was done with drop-downs to avoid spelling issues or differing formats of entry.

For me to extract the list would be easy as I would use the advanced lookup to create a query as I'm familiar with using and/or gates. I could even write a series of basic queries that could be tweaked, but this isn't suitable.

The boss would like a "tick-box" which has the same fields (and drop-downs) as the contacts so he can just tick the options he's looking for and this would then produce the lookup. He would also like to weight this output so that the contacts with the most hits are at the top.

Is there anybody out there that has had a similar request who can suggest a way forward? Is there a 3rd party add-on available? Are we looking at creating a solution, if so what's the best way?

I'm a 1 person IT department and programming is not my bag, so any help would be appreciated, and I won't take offence if you think your answer are aimed low on the technical side.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Using a tick-box to generate a lookup

Hi Timberland,

I'm not sure if I have fully understood your query correctly, but you could use the Lookup by Example feature within ACT!:

Whilst in either Contact List or Detail view, from the Menu Items at the top: Lookup->By Example.

This will present a "blank" Contact screen where you can choose the values you are interested in for the various fields.

Lookup By Example cant weigh your results unfortunately that would most definately require development.

I don't usually do plugs to ourselves so I hope you wont take offence for this first time...We are an ACT Certified Consultancy (ACC) based in the UK with over 15 years experience in ACT! and I am one of the few in-house developers within an ACC in the UK. If you would like to have an informal chat please PM me and we can talk in further detail if you would like.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

Thanks for your reply, but I've already looked at this as a possible solution but it doesn't give me the results I'm looking for. The query it builds is an and gate and on some of the fields we need an or gate. Doing this in the advanced mode is easy (for me) but we have some users who are technically challenged and these are the ones we are trying to cater for.

A simple example would be doing a search of customer requirements for a 4 berth motorhome. This would suit somebody looking for a 4 berth, or a 3 berth, or even a 2 berth. We need to be able to pull out people who fit within the criteria but also to rank them with the ones having most ticks on top.

I can't see any way of doing this within ACT! as it stands, so is it best to try to get something developed inside of ACT! or outside? Has anything like this been done before or are we ploughing a lonely furrow?

Bronze Elite Contributor

What about SQL Wildcards? e.g [123] berth in the lookup field?
Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog