Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to debug Act logon after update to ACT V21

Unable to debug Act logon after update to ACT V21

The assemblies for Act v21 require .net framework 4.7. The problem may not be related to this framework.

I have a new project in VS 2015 (vb.net). One form, one button and this code:

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Textbox1.Click
        Dim ActFwk As New ActFramework
        If Not ActFwk.IsLoggedOn Then
            Try
                ActFwk.LogOn("c:\Databases\Test.PAD", "NewUser", "")
                MessageBox.Show("You are logged on.")
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
            End Try
        End If
    End Sub

Whenever I debug, I get 

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll" and the debug window:

"onecoreuap\inetcore\urlmon\zones\zoneidentifier.cxx(359)\urlmon.dll!73820880: (caller: 738206F8) ReturnHr(2) tid(1bd0) 80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.
CLR: Managed code called FailFast without specifying a reason."

I am assuming it is related to the new security model Act is using.

I have researched about 25 of the google results for this error and tried everything they suggested but no joy. Smiley Sad

This only happens in debug. The program runs otherwise but this prevents me from debugging my whole program because at some point I log on to the database.

I did a quick test in VS2012 and got the same result on a different machine. 

Has anyone done anything with v21 and tried to logon?

John

Copper Contributor

Re: Unable to debug Act logon after update to ACT V21

We are having the same issue over here, running Act! v21 with no updates works fine but if you are on Update 2 or higher i believe that's when it stops working, seems to be related to the new licensing model as that was the update that broke it. Able to build plugins that work just fine but not able to debug which is making development difficult. Hopefully Act! can weigh in on this.

Gary Robillard

Corelogix Corporation

gary@corelogix.ca

Copper Super Contributor

Is there any way to roll back?

I've installed v20.1 update 8 and started having this issue. Then I uninstalled with ACT_Uninstaller.exe, installed v20.0 update 9 and I'm still having the issue. It seems like one a system is updated, it can never roll back.

Thanks

Hugo Vale
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. 

I always could reference the older Act! versions's dlls, but now it complains that all dlls 'are built to .NET v4.7', although I referenced the v20 ones, but because my development machine is a v21 system now it doesn't work anymore. 

So I switched the project to .NET 4.7 and I get the 'The application is in break mode' tabpage and this error popup:

Managed Debugging Assistant 'FatalExecutionEngineError' has detected a problem in 'c:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\act!.exe'.
Additional Information: The runtime has encountered a fatal error. The address of the error was at 0x50755180, on thread 0x28d0. The error code is 0x80131623. This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code. Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke, which may corrupt the stack.

If I click on 'Continue execution' I get this:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll.

After another click on Continue execution, execution stops alltogether an Act! closes.

When I delete all v20 references and replace them for the v21 ones, exactly the same errors happen.

Swiftpage can you please have a look at this? We're in quite a hurry to debug some issues with one of our addons and we're unable to do any Act! add-on development right now because of this.

Greetings,

ACT Certified Consultants
TendenZ
the Netherlands
Copper Super Contributor

Please, somebody at Swiftpage just give us some sort of indication on where we are we this very urgent issue?

At least say "We're working on this and we should have something by <date>"

January 1st is getting very close and we have whole companies that could stop because of this issue.

Hugo Vale

I'm subscribing to this thread.

We have custom application in C# that uses ACT framework to communicate with ACT.

We upgraded to DotNet 4.7

Whole application can no longer be debugged because of this new licensing component.

We got very deep integration between ACT and our various custom applications.

All those custom applications can no longer be developed because of this new licensing component.

We opened a support case number, many weeks ago.  Never heard back.

Just reached them by phone in reference to that same case number.  After 50 minutes on the phone, we came to the conclusion that they DO NOT SUPPORT the ACT API / Framework for Visual Studio, period.

They simply refer me to this forum, filled with many people complaining about the same thing.

This thread is the only source of support that exists.  That's their official answer.

Much helpful... !

We contacted the new license provider directly (Soraco.co / replacing Protexis)

Their answer is not helpful either.

>> Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate more on our licensing mechanism. I would recommend that you identify the vendor who is using QLM and ask them to contact us

We're working on implementing custom code that will bypass ACT API entirely, by doing direct operation in the database.

Seems like there will be weeks of research and development to be able to accomplish that.

What a shame.

Highlighted

You cannot run this in debug.

This is actually expected behavior for now, as our licensing system cannot be accessed via Reflection.  I believe we're working to make this more accessible in the future, but I don't think those plans are set in stone.  Simply put, you cannot debug a framework login to a Database in v21.

Our technical support does not support SDK or API development, as noted by others in this thread.  That's simply something we aren't prepared to support.  This was addressed in another section of the Act! Dev forum, but I'll have to go digging to find it.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

Update - Seems like ACT 21 update 5, released on Dec 20th. 2018 fixes this problem.

After manually installing this update, no more issues with debugging the program.

[act2100update5.exe]

I see this was released on December 20th, 2018.

Seems like we missed this simple fix and have been chasing our tails for many weeks, for several reasons...

- There are no references to this patch anywhere on forums

- ACT did not write a release note for this path #5

- Programmer was so busy fiddling around with update 4, did not think of manually checking for updates on ACT website while researching workarounds for bypassing ACT API

- Neither ACT support, or their resellers were aware of patch #5.

We'll run more testing before to claim victory.

But I took a VM with ACT 21 update 4 ==> Problem reproduced.  Installed patch 5 ==> No more issues.

I assume everything else will go well.

I'll try further, but my update 5 is still throwing errors in debug mode.

I'm about due for a wipe, though.  I'll reinstall and try with a fresh update 5.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage

Confirmed.

The published notes for Update 5 are as follows:

• D-08836 - SDK - Unable to debug application with new obfuscation
  • D-08785 - Opportunities - Act! becomes unresponsive when changing Record Manager on an Opportunity
  • D-08791 - Hangs creating opportunities if limited access is enabled.
  • D-08817 - APFW - Outlook Web Outlook integration missing dialog
  • D-08628 - Outlook - Outlook sending Emails using Alias, not email address, when creating Emails from Act!

Looks like this is your workaround for v21, but problems may still exist for v20 update 9, v19.2 update 5, and possibly the upcoming v18 update for the new licensing.  I will endeavor to test each of those releases and respond back here as needed.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage