Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble accessing certain fields in act (I think they are referred to as "entities")...

Copper Super Contributor

Trouble accessing certain fields in act (I think they are referred to as "entities")...

So I am tasked with retrieving certain fields within act, but I am not sure how to do this exactly. I believe these are referred to as entities, although this is more a guess than anything else.

In act we have a tab called "notes" and these notes are set up as a list with a corresponding "date"," time", a "regarding" field and "record manager" in a single row.

Image to elaborate on this (area of interest marked in red) - 

Capture.PNG

My questions are as such:

1. are these what are considered "entities"?
  2. how would I go about accessing said items? Also, I've dumped my database field detail report, but I'm not sure if it has this in there, if not how would I look for the appropriate information
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Trouble accessing certain fields in act (I think they are referred to as "entities")...

Are you accessing these item in the ACT UI ( as a plugin) or OLEDB ( as a report or data dump)

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Trouble accessing certain fields in act (I think they are referred to as "entities")...

[ Edited ]

OLEDB I believe, I will be accessing it programmatically to migrate the data.

On second though, I'd like to use the SDK if I would be able to. Instead of accessing the DB directly. Is this possible?

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

2gen wrote:

OLEDB I believe, I will be accessing it programmatically to migrate the data.

On second though, I'd like to use the SDK if I would be able to. Instead of accessing the DB directly. Is this possible?

Hi 2gen,

If it is through OLEDB then our support is very limited. If you're having issues with this I'll do my best to help of course, but I can't guarantee that we'll definitely be able to get something going for you.

Using the SDK is absolutely possible, but it does depend a little on what you're doing. If it's for data export then the SDK is probably the best way to go in my opinion. It's trivial to grab lists of contacts/notes/history etc and then use them for whatever purpose you want. This is definitely something I can help you with.

To answer your original question:

1. The details on the top half of the layout are Fields, things like Notes/Histories etc are Entities, more specifically Sub-Entities.

2. As above, you can use either method to access the data, it's a matter of personal preference based on what you're trying to achieve.

If you need some more information then let me know.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Copper Super Contributor

Hey sam, thanks a lot for the reply!

I would like to use the SDK if possible. Are there any code examples that I could leverage to get the desired data? I haven't been able to find anything

Copper Super Contributor

You can definitely use the SDK, it's available free of charge. A word of warning, it does require you to have some developer skills.

The SDK for up to v16 is available here: https://www.act.com/partners/development-partner-program/sdk/

v17 is currently only available HERE.

Unfortunately I don't have any code samples for exactly what you're after.

The code samples included with the SDK should get you as far as getting your first addin working.

Once you've got your entry point like this then getting a list of information and exporting it should be the easy part.

If you need any help with this then let me know and I'll see what I can put together.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Sam. I'll take a look, but I've worked with the SDK before, I'm using v17 and I've been working with it now for a little while. The issue being - I could not seem to return the desired fields, specifically the sub-entities.Are there any links do documentation?