Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Total Newbie

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Total Newbie

I have been an ACT user for years, neverdone any programming but have toyed with idea of learning.  Now that i have have tried every pluggin and still cant get things to work the way I want I thought I would take the opportunity to learn.  If you were starting out what would the learning path be?  I mainly want to be able to trigger message popups, when the user ticks off a yes/no, then move on to autocreate groups, basically create a workflow? 

I am willing to start at the beginging so please excuse the simple questions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dlkopp_2000
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Total Newbie

If you have never programmed at all before you are going to have to start right at the very beginning (forgive me if you are just starting out iwth the act sdk and have developed other stuff)

1.  You will need some software to develop in.  MS Visual Studio 2005/2008 would be your best bet.  The express editions can be downloaded for free from microsoft.

2.  You will need to pick a language to code in.  The options are pretty much C# or vb .net.  This often sparks heated debates as to which one to use but at the end of the day its down to your personal choice.  One is not particually suited to act addons more than the other.  I would say if you're starting out vb .net is easier to learn.

3.  Find some tutorials on how to code in your desired language, this is going to take a while to get to grips with but you're just going to have to have alook about on the internet.

4.  Download the act sdks from act.com, have a look at the samples, create some basic test apps and then come back here if you need more help.

Good luck 

Tom

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author dlkopp_2000
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

If you have never programmed at all before you are going to have to start right at the very beginning (forgive me if you are just starting out iwth the act sdk and have developed other stuff)

1.  You will need some software to develop in.  MS Visual Studio 2005/2008 would be your best bet.  The express editions can be downloaded for free from microsoft.

2.  You will need to pick a language to code in.  The options are pretty much C# or vb .net.  This often sparks heated debates as to which one to use but at the end of the day its down to your personal choice.  One is not particually suited to act addons more than the other.  I would say if you're starting out vb .net is easier to learn.

3.  Find some tutorials on how to code in your desired language, this is going to take a while to get to grips with but you're just going to have to have alook about on the internet.

4.  Download the act sdks from act.com, have a look at the samples, create some basic test apps and then come back here if you need more help.

Good luck 

Tom

I'm in a similar boat: I know nothing about programming in Act! but would like to learn.  I am a competant programmer, but I know nothing about how to customize Act.  Looking at Tom's list I think I can skip straight to #4 (download sdk, and have at it).  Does anyone have suggestions as to books or websites that might help me get an overview of what is possible with Act (i.e. how it's structured, where code goes and what triggers it)?

If it makes a difference, I'm currently trying to link Act and Outlook contacts (but will want to do other things down the road, as soon as I figure out what is possible).

Thanks for all your help!

Kari

I think your best bet is to download the sdk and get some of the samples that have been posted.  The samples can give you a pretty good idea on how to interface with the UI and the SDK from a framework perspective.  ACT! is written in .NET 2.0, the latest version..  It takes a bit to get the hang of things but it's not too difficult to program with if you are already a programmer.

Gavin Stevens

CRMIS

Gavin Stevens
MCPS, MCSD, MCAD, MCNPS
ACT! Developer
http://crmintegrationsystems.com