Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Thoughts on how to avoid duplicates when two syncing remote databases are creating File Numbers sequentially?

Copper Contributor

Thoughts on how to avoid duplicates when two syncing remote databases are creating File Numbers sequentially?

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone else has seen before or could shed some light on.

Our database has Group Entities which represent a File #.
The name of each group is the File #.
We use the SDK for this CRM to create the next available File #.

Essentially it works like this:

• we have a boolean field which is set to True for the Last Created File #
  • the user clicks the "Create Next File #" button when they want to create a new File.
  • a function runs that gets the name of the File # which has the Last Created File field set to True
  • it adds 1 to that File # and creates a new File #.
  • then it sets the Last Create File field to false on the previous # and sets the field to True on the newly created File #

This part works fine and does things like duplicate checking etc which is not relevant for my issue.

The issue for us is that we have introduced a Remote database which has the same functionality and it syncs with out main database.

Now there is the opportunity for duplicate File #'s to be created if the Remote Database has not synced yet.

I would trigger a sync to happen on the Remote database before the function mentioned above happens but it does take a long time and they would also have to sync again after the function has ran which would eat up too much time for the user.

We were thinking for a quick workaround that we would create a similar field for the Remote Database and give a block of File #'s for that Remote database to create but I feel like there must be a better way to achieve this.

Anyone have any suggestions on a better method? Apparently doing away with the Remote Database is not an option unfortunately.