Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

There are no C# sample projects in the Act! 2012 SDK

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

There are no C# sample projects in the Act! 2012 SDK

[ Edited ]

The "Sage Act! 2012 SDK" contains not ONE single C# sample code project (a full solution with references and some functionality) to use in developing a plugin.  The forum contains NO code sample projects (I've been searching the forums for two hours and 80% of the references are obsolete, out of date, broken links.)  

My Task: Put up a dialog box that works with the current contact.  Read data from existing contact fields (including some custom fields) and process that data in some way to present a "result".  I really have not found any example code that describes this process at all...

Which DLLs do I need to reference in my C# project?  

Is there ONE single example of using IPlugin?

How about a COMPLETE Visual Studio C# Solution to demonstrate reading fields from the current contact record?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author terrykubat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: There are no C# sample projects in the Act! 2012 SDK

Terry

Try this attached file.  It is a complete C# project in Visual Studio 2010 Professional for an ACT! plugin for ACT! 2012.  It is pretty much how all my add-ons that run inside ACT! are written.

This plugin demostrates:

- the plumbing to connect to ACT! and function as a plugin

- Inserting and removing yourself from the ACT! menus so you only appear on the screens that make sense (the Contact Detail view in the case of this example)

- Obtaining Contact Field Descriptors so you can read and write to Contact fields

- Reading 3 different field and displaying the values in a dialog box

- Optionally updating 1 other field with a value input into the above mentioned dialog box

Unzip the file, open it in Visual Studio 2010, and repoint the References for the ACT! DLLs to a copy of the ACT! 2012 GlobalAssemblyCache from a current install image of ACT! 2012.  Then try a Rebuild of the project.  The resulting DLL can be placed in the Plugins folder of ACT!, then ACT! restarted, and you should see :"Plugin Prototype" at the bottom of the Tools menu when looking at a Contact Detail view. 

One thing you can do is attach the Visual Studio debugger to the running ACTSage.exe process and then set breakpoints in the plugin, step through the code, and watch what happens.

Hope this helps.

Donald Egen

ACT! Certified Consultant

Chief Scientist and Developer

Patricia Egen Consulting, LLC

Chattanooga, TN

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

I'm not sure what you mean. I just downloaded the 2012 SDK again, and in content/Code Samples are two full samples, CustomMenuPlugin.zip and ContactNameControl.zip. Additionally, several samples can also be found in The Developer's Download section, not all of them have the source included but the directory is here.

Take a look at the CustomMenuPlugin, it'll show you which references/using statements you'll need. Aditionally, take a look at this thread where I give a quick example of getting a field value from the current contact.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions don't hesistate to ask.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thanks for the tip about the (ZIPPED?)  .cs files inside the SDK folder--they are STILL not complete projects, but are one step closer...

I'm sorry, but the links you provided (which I had arlready found) were unhelpful:

1.  http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-Downloads/bd-p/ADN_Downloads

This is just the "Full Forum" that I've been scouring for 3 hours to no avail?   I have only found ONE C# project in this forum: "Act.DevNet.Extensibility.Dashboard" that contains something entirely irrelevant and does not appear to be anything but a shell project.

2. http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-Downloads/Download-Directory/td-p/71966

This has (at the bottom) links to other forum posts that apper to be for Act! 2009, 2010 and for types of solutions that I do not understand and STILL there are no links or attachments to any specific Visual Studio project files?

3. http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-s-Forum/Create-a-variable-using-a-Field-value/m-p/163...

This forum discussion has some trivial code snippets mostly in Visual Basic, but no project-files with any kind of a complete solution?

It appears to me that Act! SDK work died many years ago, or just doesn't have much support at SAGE...

Solution
Accepted by topic author terrykubat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Terry

Try this attached file.  It is a complete C# project in Visual Studio 2010 Professional for an ACT! plugin for ACT! 2012.  It is pretty much how all my add-ons that run inside ACT! are written.

This plugin demostrates:

- the plumbing to connect to ACT! and function as a plugin

- Inserting and removing yourself from the ACT! menus so you only appear on the screens that make sense (the Contact Detail view in the case of this example)

- Obtaining Contact Field Descriptors so you can read and write to Contact fields

- Reading 3 different field and displaying the values in a dialog box

- Optionally updating 1 other field with a value input into the above mentioned dialog box

Unzip the file, open it in Visual Studio 2010, and repoint the References for the ACT! DLLs to a copy of the ACT! 2012 GlobalAssemblyCache from a current install image of ACT! 2012.  Then try a Rebuild of the project.  The resulting DLL can be placed in the Plugins folder of ACT!, then ACT! restarted, and you should see :"Plugin Prototype" at the bottom of the Tools menu when looking at a Contact Detail view. 

One thing you can do is attach the Visual Studio debugger to the running ACTSage.exe process and then set breakpoints in the plugin, step through the code, and watch what happens.

Hope this helps.

Donald Egen

Chief Scientist and Developer

Chattanooga, TN

This appears to be exactly what I needed.  Thanks so much for jump-starting the development!

Nickel Contributor

Terry

Some additional hints (actually things I wish I knew when I decided to start developing in the ACT! environment).

1.  Don't discount examples written for earlier versions of ACT!.  Sage has done an EXCELLENT job of being upward compatible with their SDK API.  The first add-on I wrote (for ACT! 2006) is still pretty much running in exactly the same form as originally written.  The only major change (other than a couple of bug fixes) was when I changed my licensing scheme earlier this year.  One build of that add-on works for all version off ACT! from 2007 through 2012.

2.  Some of the developers who contribute most to this forum write in Visual Basic.  Their choice.  .NET and ACT! do not care.  So develop at least a reading knowledge of Visual Basic.  You will find that there is a pretty much one-to-one relationship between Visual Basic statements and C# statements.  And if you have to, there are web sites that will translate Visual Basic to C# (or the reverse) if you have to start there.

Again, hope this helps.

Donald Egen

Chattanooga, TN