Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Teaching Reward

Nickel Contributor

Teaching Reward

Hello all,

I am not a good programmer, but always willing to learn. 

I need something done on the fly and would be willing to pay someone $100 for 1 hour phone tutorial on how to programmatically add a task to the task list.  I need someone to teach me how to programmatically add a task using all the available features in the "Schedule Activity" Form. I am hoping that you know it like the back of your hand and can teach a beginner.  Please email me or respond to this post if you're interested.

I only have the free Express version/edition of Microsoft. So if it cannot be done with this, please let me know.

Pat

Employee

Re: Teaching Reward

[ Edited ]

Perhaps one of the ACC's would take you up on the training offer.

In the time being however here is a short sample of creating a new activity and adding it to the database. 

public void makeActivity()

{

User[] theUsers = afw.Users.ActiveUsers;

CalendarDelegateGrantor cdg = afw.CalendarDelegates.GetCalendarDelegateGrantorByAccessorId(theUsers[theUsers.Length - 1].ID);

ContactList cl = afw.Contacts.GetContacts(null);

Contact c = cl[0];

ActivityTemplate newActivity = afw.Activities.CreateActivity();

newActivity.Details = "Details";

newActivity.StartTime = System.DateTime.Now;

newActivity.EndTime = System.DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(15);

newActivity.IsAlarmed = true;

newActivity.IsPrivate = false;

newActivity.Organizer = cdg; //This is scheduled for

newActivity.ActivityContacts.Add(c); //Scheduled with

newActivity.Regarding = "Regarding";

newActivity.Update();

}

Message Edited by mwood on 05-21-2010 08:06 AM
Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Nickel Contributor

Thank you,

However, I have a simple naive question(s)

1)What language is this?

2)Do I need the SDK?

3)What are the steps to set this up in Express?

See how naive I am?

Pat

Employee

No worries, we all started somewhere. =)

1) c# I use it because I learned to program in Java and c# was the easiest thing to transition to, though some folks prefer VB

2) Everything you need to start extending the functionality of Act! is included in the installation, however the SDK download contains samples and reference documentation that are useful, I'd recommend downloading it.

3) In VS I simply go file, new project, once the project opens I right click on References in the Solution Explorer, add a reference to Act.Framework.dll, Act.Shared.Collections and then add a using statement for Act.Framework. This won't be the only using statement you require, but if you have all the References required VS will tell you that you need them and add it for you. 

Hope this helps. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Nickel Elite Contributor

Pat - 

Just to chime in:

1. I use both VB and C# - just pick one and get a good book for a tutorial.  I'm a book person, so I like following a planned learning path.

2. The SDK not only has examples, but you will find (when you get more familiar) that the reference comes in handy.

3. I started with the Express versions, and they work great.  Eventually I splurged and bought the Visual Studio, but for plugins that should be fine.

Hope this helps... 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Nickel Contributor

I haven't been able to find the Act.Framework.dll when I open up C sharp. I downloaded Visual Studio C# 2010. After I hit "New Project", it gives me the options of Windows Forms, WPF application, console application, class library, WPF browser application and empty project.

First off, which one do I choose and is the Act.Framework.dll already there?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Pat

Nickel Elite Contributor

there are several good threads about where to get API assemblies:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Pub_Dev&message.id=594&query.id=1869620#M594

Personally I usually get the assemblies I need from the GAC - but also available from the CD.

One tip here - if you develop against multuiple versions of ACT! pull the dll's you'll need per each version and store them in a folder - that way when you want to build a version of your plugin/control against ACT! 2008 you just swap out those dll references and build away. Of course you still need an install of ACT! 2008 somewhere to test it, but makes development easier.

Nickel Contributor

OK, now I must confess.  I am like a baby just starting to crawl. Most of everything mentioned here is step 50. I need step 2.  I already downloaded the 2010 version of C# Express.

After I open it, what's next? What do I choose? How do I get the Framework to start experimenting? How does this connect to ACT!? 

I am SUPER thankful for the input already.  Thank you all.

Pat

Employee

Might be a good idea to start with some of the beginner tutorials on MSDN, they'll help you get your head around the basics of .net development.

The type of project you choose will depend on what your goals are. A windows form application might be the easiest place to start.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator