Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tables that are updated when a Sage Upgrade process is failure or success

Tables that are updated when a Sage Upgrade process is failure or success

Hi ALL-- I am new to Sage ACT and we are doing upgrade of many customers who has Sage ACT 2010 to Sage ACT 2012 PRO.

I would like to know the following:

1.When we are upgrading(From any Sage version below 11.0 to Sage version11.0) how is Sage Software identifying whether the database needs to be updated? Basically how will sage act determine the vesion of the database

2. What are the control tables that are updated when we do an upgradation(From any Sage version below 11.0 to Sage version11.0)?

The reason for query is that when we were doing the upgrade process one of my colleagues accidently copied a database from one machine(ACT 8.0) to his machine(which has ACT 2012) and clicked the .pad file(With out taking a back up and restoring it from ACT 8.0 machine). Upgrade started and stopped immediately with an error message. When we checked the copied .pad file it has the machine name(with ACT 8.0). When we went to machine(with ACT 8.0) and tried opening it, it was showing an error message and not allowing the user to enter. 

We then had to restore database from the latest back and installed it in ACT 8. machine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Tables that are updated when a Sage Upgrade process is failure or success

1. Not sure if it checks else where, but I assume it checks the SCHEMA VERSION in the DBConfig table.

2. The tables updated would depend on which version ... there are changes in each version (and sometimes in patches)
Also, you can't just copy a database ... unless SQL is stopped on the machine, and then you need to recreate the PAD file and some internal pointers

Two things:
1. If they should have access to update the database, don't make them an Admin
2. Keep good and regular backups - and test them as per:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2012/12/taking-your-act-on-holiday.html