Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Task Actions

Nickel Elite Contributor

Smart Task Actions

At Sage Summit last month we talked as a group about additional Smart Task Actions which would be useful.

We'll be focusing on Smart Tasks as a feature area for future releases and I wanted to start getting feedback by providing additional custom actions now.

Any suggestions on customer Smart Task actions you'd like to see?   

Re: Smart Task Actions

I am trying to set up a Smart Task, but cannot see anywhere that this is possible, so I'll submit as a suggestion for future releases.

We want to set up a series of reminder e-mails for a Contact based on the next phone call that we have scheduled with them. (We call on a monthly basis). What I would like to do is set up and schedule a 'call' for November 1, then have the Smart Task identify that from the client record and send an e-mail reminder 2 weeks ahead, 1 week ahead, 1 day ahead, and 1 hour ahead to remind them of the call. Since the Smart Task is triggered based on a Contact datafield, I am not seeing how I could get this accomplished.

If there is a way to trigger the Smart Task based on a scheduled 'call', please let me know how to do it. If not, please accept this as a recommendation for future releases.

Thanks,
Jeff
Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks.  That's great feedback!

One more suggestion -- again, can't find a way to do this, so I'll suggest it.

Create the ability for one Smart Task to trigger another. In a past life I worked with another CRM that allowed you to move contacts from one follow-up campaign (smart task tree) to another.

An example of what we did was that when someone went to our website and signed up for our special "7 part series on widget creation", that triggered a Smart Task tree to send them 2 e-mails, then have a sales person call them, then send 5 more e-mails to finish the series. After that series was complete, we could then 'move' that person from the "7 part" Smart Task to the "Continuous Followup" Smart Task tree that would then send them an e-mail every 3 months.

Also, we could 'restart' a Smart Task, so in the "Continuous Follow-up" Smart Task we could have them run through a 4-email series (we sent one e-mail every 3 months, so this covered us for a year). We would then have them start back at the beginning of the Smart Task and they would receive that 4 email series again (for a year) ... lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

These two features: Move to new Smart Task and Restart Smart Task made our follow-up campaigns very powerful.

Jeff
PS -- I'll assume from your previous response that the 'trigger based on scheduled call' is not a current feature?
Nickel Elite Contributor

You are correct in that the trigger only looks at Contact data so Activitiy information isn't accessible as a trigger, but I'm looking for exactly this type of input so we can expose these as we expand Smart Tasks.

FYI- I believe I may be able to create a custom smart task step that will launch a nominated smart task, I'll take a look at this and if we can make this available sooner as a custom step I'll post in the community.

Thanks again

I would start by taking a look at the 3rd party programs that already do Smart Tasks better (but with to much overhead.)  A good example is: 

Sales Automation Manager (User Guide - PDF) from CRMAddons.com

Here are some examples what it can do that Smart Tasks can't:

• Send a Letter (to the printer) or a Fax to specified contact
  • Change the data in an existing field (i.e. add a date, delete a date, edit the text of field, etc ...)
  • Copy one field to another field
  • Perform simple calculations on a field (addition, subtraction and multiplication)
  • Add or remove a contact to/from a group
  • Launch an external application.

Now here are some features that I would really love:

• Generate a Report for a existing Group
  • - then send that report to the printer or via email to a particular person. 
  • --- Great for automatically sending status reports to my boss.
  • --- Also good for call lists, packing lists, etc ...
  • Send a correspondence (email/letter) to a particular Group or lookup.

That's it for now.

I guess I missed getting these features into Act 2012.  I can keep my fingers crossed for Act 2013.

Please let me know if you need any additional explanation or if you want the feature prioritized.

Copper Super Contributor

I have clients who would like to do the following with Smart Tasks:

1. Have the Sage eMarketing blasts that are set to auto run not send infividual email blasts one at a time so the user has to press ok for every contact that matches. Currently if a smart task is triggered for 1000 people and the action is to send an eMarketing blast through Swiftpage, it pops up for every single contact saying:

"

---------------------------
Sage E-marketing for ACT!
Status: Your Email Blast has been sent. Addresses submitted = 1, sent to = 1
OK   
"

Obviously this is a very poor user experience, one which needs to be addresses urgently.

2. Send mail merge based email blasts to contacts who match the smart task criteria.

3. Be able to choose to run an email manually or automatically. Including Sage eMarketing email blasts.

4. I think it would be great for an administrator to be able to choose which users the smart tasks run as. Currently with multi-user Swiftpage accounts, templates that are not published to all users are not available for those types of smart task actions.

Cheers,

Matt

Kind regards,

Matthew Wild
Act! Certified Consultant

Act Today Pty Ltd | 0755 712 344 | 0434048190 | matthew@acttoday.com.au | www.acttoday.com.au
Gold Coast
Employee

Hello Matt and thanks for the feedback.

Just to clear something up that there appears to be a bit of confusion about. Smart Tasks and the E-Marketing service from SwiftPage are two different things. You will be able to set up Smart Tasks to run E-Marketing campaigns, however you'll still have to click through each email. This helps to reduce the server load and is unfortunately outside of our control.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
RJT

I am sorry but this is a major issue and clearly negates the usefulness of using any Smart Task to automate a timrd rutine blast using criteria and your clarity makes no sense at all.

It has nothing to do with the server usage as the same task performed manually using a defined (and similar crieria) lookup works perfectly so long as within send limits.

There is no logical reason for each individual record to be confirmed as one cannot see which one it is anyhow and it is in my view a clear programming oversight that should by now have been corrected as was apparently scheduled to be so