Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Show the backup dialog

Copper Contributor

Show the backup dialog

Hi,

As the title suggests, I simply want to show the backup database dialog after the user logs in.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

SS

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Show the backup dialog

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call the execute command function with the menu/commandID:

ACTApplication.ExecuteCommand("act-ui://com.act/application/menu/file/backup/database")

In a quick test I did, the ExecuteCommand did not fire when I raised it in the HostApplication.AfterLogon event. I did try the executeComand from a new menu I created and it worked fine. 

Maybe somebody at Sage can answer why the executeCommand does not fire in the AfterLogon event.

In the past we have created our own backup dialog then called the BackupDatabase function in the framework directly like so

ACTApplication.ActFramework.BackupDatabase("C:\temp\MybackupFile.zip", _
"MyPassword", _
Act.Framework.SupplementalFiles.CompressionType.Speed, _
New Act.Framework.SupplementalFiles.SupplementalFileManager.ProgressEventHandler(AddressOf BackupProgressBarUpdate), _
Act.Framework.Database.DatabaseBackupType.FULL)

Hope this helps

-- JIm Durkin

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike/Jim.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Jim, I thought about writing my own backup dialog but I don't want to ask the user for their name and password again. 

Do you know how you can get the current logged in user and their password from the framework?

Thanks,

SS

Bronze Super Contributor

If I recall correctly the password is only to password protect the Zip file. You can leave this blank.

When restoring the backup without a password, the user will need a valid ACT! username/password combination to restore the database.

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Contributor

hi Jim,

In all the examples I've seen people seem to be providing the password to the database in plain text.

Does ACT! not have it's own encryption method for password? Do we have to encrypt ourselves?

Thanks,

SS

Bronze Super Contributor

ACT! has it own encryption on passwords.

-- Jim