Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Searching for raw phone numbers including country code.

Copper Contributor

Searching for raw phone numbers including country code.

Basically this is kinda hooks onto this thread: https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Developer-s-Forum/Searching-for-raw-phone-numbers/td-p/114994

Our PBX (telephone system) has software that can connect to Act to automatically give you an indication of who's calling, and a button to jump to their record in Act. Works perfectly for local calls, but international ones go wrong due to the country code being added to the incoming phone number.

The thing is, this used to work, and still works for some international numbers, If I look at the TBL_PHONE table, the records it works for have their country code in the NUMBERDISPLAY column, for example [32] 302 XXXXX5. Others that don't work don't have the country code.

If I decide to edit the working number in Act, for example change the 5 into a 6. Numberdisplay value in the database changes to "302 XXXXX6", no longer including the country code.

Is this behaviour that has changed in the last 3 or 4 versions? Is there a better way to look up phone numbers including their country code now?

If I'd personally have to write it, I'd probably just dump the country code for the initial lookup, get the contacts returned, and then look up their phone numbers country codes using the phone manager to further filter the list. That said we've had this issue as an open bug ticket with the software developer for nearly a year and sadly they haven't resolved it yet.

Hope someone here can shine a light on this so we can point them here.

Administrator

Re: Searching for raw phone numbers including country code.

I'm not sure if this is something that changed, I'll test this on a few older VMs - but unless the country code has been manually entered into the phone field, it won't show up in the NUMBERDISPLAY column - if Act is set to 'always display country code' (preferences > general tab), this simply programatically adds the country code to the front of the field in Act, but doesn't affect the NUMBERDISPLAY column.

It would make sense if in previous versions this setting did add the country code to the number display column, that updating/changing the phone number on a newer version of Act would rewrite the column to no longer include it.

The phone table does contain a country code column, which could be used in conjunction with the number display to include this info in the lookup.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are a few possibilities... I assume you have v20?
1. If you edit the number by clicking the ellipses button, is the CC correct?
2. How is the PBX software reading Act! - direct through SQL or the SDK?
3. How about if it dropped the CC from the lookup and just used the local number?
4. How were the numbers added to Act!? In some versions, adding from Outlook would put +1 no-matter with country... And could still be displaying the +32
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

V19 and V20, tested on both, haven't tested on earlier versions.

The PBX software is reading through SDK. Can't say exactly what method they're using as I would have to decompile their code, guessing that would be illegal.

Numbers are always added in act, we don't sync any data to act.

Would be nice if we could have some kind of indicator from swiftpage saying if this behaviour changed, because honestly this software used to work great.

The software developer is blaming stuff on random SDK issues which seem completely unrelated, is not really doing any effort to get this fixed (over 8 months of waiting for a fix).

I'm 100% with you on dropping the CC from the lookup and using the local number, it's what I did in an extra tool I developed for some VOIP software i'm using. Works perfectly.

If I could get an "official" indication saying this behaviour changed, and future lookups should be done without the country code, and then filtered on country code, maybe that could actually be enough to convince the software developer to fix this issue instead of shifting blame around.

In attachment I've added 3 images, a database query result of a record that still got recognised by the PBX software (up until I editted it that is).

So I've got a before image, an image of the edit window, and an after image, last 4 digits blurred out to protect the record's privacy of course.

I could open and close the edit window, save the contact and nothing would happen, untill I change one digit in the number, and then the country code is removed from the numberdisplay column after saving.

Nickel Contributor

Quote:

"I could open and close the edit window, save the contact and nothing would happen, untill I change one digit in the number, and then the country code is removed from the numberdisplay column after saving."

This is unfortunately a long- known strange behaviour I'm aware of since many yearsSmiley Mad

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Platinum Elite Contributor

Have you tried setting Act! > Prefs > General - To Always Display CC?
They should be using the two separate fields, rather than the display field.
Copper Contributor

We've got that set to always display on all of the clients on our database. (And always had, so no change there).

I'm completely not sure when this behaviour started happening, seeing as it only affects phone numbers that got changed and was only noticeable when then PBX software stopped recognising the caller. Could be a rather old thing that happened 3 or 4 versions back since the problem exists in V19 and 20 it has to be before that.