Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Security Settings to Insert Records with sa Password?

Copper Contributor

SQL Security Settings to Insert Records with sa Password?

Hi All;

I know some people will say: "You can't do that; you'll break it!", but I'm quite sure I can, and I won't break it, given the right information.  I don't beleive it is within ACT!'s dominion to tell a user that they can't modify or write data to their own database in SQL Server or with a development tool.  ACT! is, afterall, just a schema design and a programmed interface.  They are certainly within their rights to deny support to you if you get yourself in trouble, and that's a risk you accept when you go down the path of getting maximum performance by working directly with the back end.  The benefits are huge for doing so.  So having said that, is there a like-minded developer out there who has figured out all of the security settings that need to be changed to allow programmatic insertion of records into the Notes, History and Activity tables with the sa password using SQL Server Management Studio Express?  The fact is that I'm a hard core VB 6 programmer who isn't interested in degrading the performance of my applications by taking the time to learn a .NET language so I can have poorer performance.  (.NET is interpreted, not compiled, so it just doesn't compete performance-wise.)  Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide to save me some time.
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Security Settings to Insert Records with sa Password?

I can understand your reluctance to write a .net application to interface with Act, especially if you are new to .Net development.  The only real problem with writing to SQL directly, even assuming your code is 100% correct in terms of every table and entry that has to be updated, you have to check that code, and test it, after _every_ Act update, in case the Database Schema changed in an unexpected way.  That fact alone, in my opinion at least, makes such an approach massively annoying from a developers' standpoint, I'm way too lazy to do that, and it's way too easy to corrupt the database to the point that the Act application itself, can't resolve the problems that have been created.

As far as performance goes, using the SDK is actually pretty fast, especially when you access a database using the Framework (outside of the Act application, as I suspect your product would).  We've written products that import, and export, hundreds of thousands of records using the SDK without performance issues (I wish other products, including to be un-named accounting solutions) had interfaces as fast as Act does.  

The only real downside to .Net (other then learning it in the first place) that bothers me, is the need to purchase software to obfusticate your code after it's been "compiled".  I know this really doesn't answer your question in any meaningful way, but trust me, the SDK is easier =)

-Nick
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info - I've settled on a hybrid approach.  Querying and updating fields I can do directly with the sa password.  Adding Notes, History and Activity records I'll do with the COM object, I saw some kind person has posted for free - something ACT! themselves should have written, since they brought along a huge base of developers with COM and VB as the example language, so that's what we all learned and are good at.  VB 6.0 is far superior in terms of performance than .NET, although .NET may offer some advantages in the time it takes to code something, it's not worth the investment of time to learn - the payoff just isn't there IMHO. MS doesn't use it much for their own development, because they are a C++ shop - that's what their developers know.  They just sell .NET under the pretense of it being the lastest and greatest thing, to keep developers always on a new learning curve sot they don't have time to write products that compete with them!  ACT! fell into the trap, and unfortunately abandonded those who got them where they are - the people who write solutions that solve real world problems for people.

I have insert data activities & contacts to database but the problem that it is not appeared on ACT task list.

Could you advice

Thanks in advance

- Mukhtar Dheyab
Responsive Governance Project - Yemen
Bronze Elite Contributor

Its really not advisable to INSERT directly into the SQL backend since its quite a complex schema especially for Activities, additionally it is against the EULA currently to do that kind of manipulation.

You would be better off doing that kind of thing via the SDK.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog