Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SHORTCUT from Task List (F7) to Contact (F11)

SHORTCUT from Task List (F7) to Contact (F11)

I’m looking for a shortcut and figured it couldn’t hurt to ask . . . . hope you can help.  Let me describe the scenario but first a little housekeeping.

Running Windows7, 64 bit, Dell XPS15, 16mb RAM, will be upgrading the loaded 500Gb drive to 750 next week.   I looked for this shortcut for ACT 2012 and have recently upgraded to v16 as you know so that’s the version I’m running now. 

So here’s the deal . . . I work from my Task List (F7) every day.  I use the up and down arrows to navigate land on a task and it’s highlighted the color blue.  THEN COMES THE RUB . . . I’d like a shortcut that would allow me (without the use of the mouse or CONTROL + Right Click) to move directly to that contact record (F11) so I can look at history before I make the call or clear it. 

I’ve attached a PDF to show you what I’m trying to do.  In the last box on the PDF shows the mouse/ctrl + rt click option.

F11 won’t work (or any variation) .  F11 will take you to the contact record of the LAST contact you looked up.   In fact, when you’re in the Contact List (F8) and you hit ENTER on the record you arrow up or down to, it takes you to that Contact Record (F11).   If I could do this from the Task list, it would be brilliant! 

SHORTCUT FROM F7 TASK LIST TO F11 CONTACT RECORD.jpg

So, I’ve been seeking this shortcut off and on for a while now.  Maybe I’m just not describing it correctly, hence the long email. 

If you could help, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks . . .

Blu   

At my core, I have become a horsewoman first, but -- It's not easy

bein' a cowgirl in a spaceship kind of world.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: SHORTCUT from Task List (F7) to Contact (F11)

Am i missing something? why dont you just click on the contacts name? the name in blue is a link straight to the contact record

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6

Oh wow ... I've used ACT for decades, that being said .. I'm not much of a mouser ... mostly quick keys and shortcuts like these:  https://www.act.com/media/en-us/docs/documentation/ACTQRC.pdf

So I could reach for my mouse after I arrow to the task I'd like to complete but if I could just hit ENTER (like from the contact list), or CTL ENTER or some other keyboard shortcut . . . that would be excellent!   

Thanks JasonD for the response, I hope that helps.  

Love my ACT!   

Copper Super Contributor

well not a mouser you must be dreading the loss of the keyboard.... or waiting for better voice recognition ....

hitting ENTER would only bring up the task record, so my guess is you would need to do what you want by coding an addon, that would be my guess

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6

thanks JasonD -- guess it's the mouse for now ... Was just hoping someone had a keyboard shortcut in their back pocket ... 

Take good care ... blu 

Silver Super Contributor

There is a program called AutoHotkey that will let you create your own macros and hot key sequences.  Give it a try and see if it helps.  www.autohotkey.com

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks Wellmet . . . so I looked at the site and it seems a bit complicated (i.e. over my head).   I'm not sure where I would start to just say "When I highlight a record in the Task List and hit Control + Enter, move to the Contact screen.  

Learning to program a hot key looked complicated - here's a bit from the community about learning how to use AHK: 

As a person who started using AHK having absolutely zero programming experience (never taken a class or read a book on computers in my life), I will give you my 2 cents on learning it.

I think exploring the forum works great if you have even a little bit of background in this area. If, like me, you have none, I would learn it in the following order (this is how I would do it if I had to do it over again). :p My reasoning here is that for a person starting from scratch, you need to learn concepts before learning commands, and the forum is geared more towards commands.

First read the Tutorial, the Scripts page, and then the FAQ. Afterwards, I would recommend learning concepts in the following order:[*:3bu072xf]Hotstrings
[*:3bu072xf]Hotkeys
[*:3bu072xf]Mouse Clicks & Mouse HotKeys
[*:3bu072xf]Variables
[*:3bu072xf]Expressions
[*:3bu072xf]Loops - especially Parsing Loops
[*:3bu072xf]Strings - (e.g. StringMidStringReplace)
[*:3bu072xf]If,Else statements
[*:3bu072xf]Arrays & Dynamic variables - (StringSplit)
[*:3bu072xf]GoSub & Functions
[*:3bu072xf]GUIs
[*:3bu072xf]Windows Messages
[*:3bu072xf]DllCallThe first 3 you will not necessarily use very often once you become proficient with the program; but they are the easiest to comprehend and implement. Everything from Variables through GUIs is what I would consider the "core" of the program that you will use repeatedly to write virtually all of your scripts with. Windows Messages and DLLCalls are the advanced techniques that are the most powerful but most complicated. The average user will probably never have the need and desire to master these two.
Of course this list is not set in stone, and you may be learning multiple items at once (for example you may want to scratch the surface of GUIs right away), but I think all of the items are important to learn about if you plan to use AHK more than a few times, and I tried to arrange them in an order that would be most logical and systematic.

When you're wondering how to accomplish a specific task in AHK, remember that most of the commands have a common naming scheme to identify what they do. For example:

Commands dealing with files start with File.
Commands dealing with windows start with Win.
Commands dealing with text start with String.

Similarly:

Commands that retrieve data from somewhere contain Get.
Commands that apply data to somewhere contain Set.

Combining the two previous structures, we have commands like:

FileGetSize - Retrieve the size of a file.
WinGetTitle - Retrieve the title of a window.
StringGetPos - Retrieve the position of a piece of text inside a larger piece (like a sentence in a paragraph).

FileSetTime - Apply a new Time Stamp to a file.
WinSetTitle - Apply a new title to a window.
SetTimer - Apply a new Timer, which is a command or group of commands that run at timed intervals.

Good Luck, and remember that nobody was born knowing any of this. It takes time. 

Silver Super Contributor

Macro Express (http://www.macros.com/download.htm) is a little easier to use but it isn't free.  I was trying to find a free one for you and I had heard of AutoHotkey.  There are probably other free ones out there that work like Macro Express.  Basically what you do with Macro Express is you put it in record mode and then you key in the keystrokes you want to create a hotkey for.  Then you tell it to use Ctrl-K or some other combination to perform that action and it will do a multi step process when you press Ctrl-K, etc.  I'm sure if you play with it a while you can get it to do what you want it to do.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Hi Stan ... and once again - thank you!   What you describe would be MUCH easier .... I'll now have to noodle about the cost ($40.) and see if I can amortize it over some other tasks. If I could get it down to $10.00/task (that would be for at least 4 tasks) then it might be worth it.  

I'll try to do some additional surfing this weekend and see if it's a fit.  

Too bad there isn't just a hot key in ACT for this.  :-(   Oh well. . . .

Have a good weekend -- Blu