Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SDK - multiple logins and logoffs? "oFramework.Logoff();"

SDK - multiple logins and logoffs? "oFramework.Logoff();"

{ //Declare objects Act.Framework.ActFramework oFramework = new Act.Framework.ActFramework(); //Connect to ACT! oFramework.LogOn("user", "pwd", "hostname", "databasename"); if(oFramework.IsLoggedOn == true) { MessageBox.Show("Logged on to ACT! Database"); //log off… oFramework.Logoff(); } else { MessageBox.Show("Logon to ACT! failed"); } }

Hi,

I've created a web service that allows a user to login and view contact information in an Act Database.

I would like multiple people to be able to use the web service at once, each with their own login.

Is it possible to have multiple users logging into the framework at once.

If so, how can I log out a user specific user when they are finished and not all.

The only LogOff command I can see is "oFramework.Logoff();"

Ruairi

Employee

Re: SDK - multiple logins and logoffs? "oFramework.Logoff();"

No. A logged on instance of the framework is tied to a single user. There is no way to log on multiple users at once. You could make this work by having your web service keep a framework instance for each user, but this will use signiifcant amounts of memory.

Tim Faust
ACT! R&D
Platinum Elite Contributor

ruairio wrote:

Hi,

I've created a web service that allows a user to login and view contact information in an Act Database.

I would like multiple people to be able to use the web service at once, each with their own login.

Is it possible to have multiple users logging into the framework at once.

If so, how can I log out a user specific user when they are finished and not all.

The only LogOff command I can see is "oFramework.Logoff();"

Ruairi

Maybe it might be easier to just use ACT! Premium for Web?

Thats interesting. Thanks.

I will just create one common Act user for the web service and allow everyone to use it.

I will log this user into the Framework and keep them logged in.

Regards,

Ruairi

Hi Mike.

I probably should have explained that I'm using the web service as a link from a Delphi7 application to the .Net ACT! SDK.

When the ACT! SDK changed to .Net Framework I had to update my application and write the web service.

Logging in and out using the old sdk didn't cause any problems.

Regards,

Ruairi

Interesting that ACT! Prem for Web allows multiple users without this problem
Nickel Super Contributor

As with the windows client I believe each user gets their own instance of the framework when they log on.

Tom

So the memory issue that tfaust mentioned shouldn't really be an issue for the typical number of ACT! users?
Employee

Actually, the Act for Web team has gone to great lengths to manage the problems that arise from having a lot of state for each user, but to say ACT for Web doesn't have memory issues due to the nature of the ACT! framework would be inaccurate.

Regarding my previous comments about memory usage of this web service. I agree with Mike that you may not run into any practical issues depending on the number of users concurrently logged on, how long you hold on to a logged on but inactive framework before you release it, etc. And of course the amount of memory on the machine you are running it on matters too. But architecturally the way it will work is less than ideal as it is un-scalable, and I would be doing you all a disservice by not mentioning it.

Tim Faust
ACT! R&D

Thanks for the added info... it does explain why separating the database server and web server provides an advantage in APFWeb