Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SDK Development / Integration w/ Hosted Database

Nickel Elite Contributor

SDK Development / Integration w/ Hosted Database

I've got a client that wants to do some custom SDK work to link Act! to another system they have for managing their client's contractual documents.  They're debating hosting the database themselves or using a hosting provider.  Would using a hosting provider limit their ability to connect to the database?  I believe it would but want to confirm before I give them direction.

-----------
Marshall Knapp
AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants - Diamond Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com
Employee

Re: SDK Development / Integration w/ Hosted Database

It's really up to whomever is providing the hosting whether or not they'll allow any outside plugins, with that being said I'm not aware of anyone using the hosted services that is also using third party add-ons. I may be incorrect in that regard, but again, that's just as far as I'm aware.

This goes without even mentioning that I have no idea what they infrastructure looks ilke or how they plan on approaching the development of this system, it may for purely logistical reasons be simpler to host it in house.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

I know plenty who are hosting with third-party addons... in fact, this would apply to every site I've worked with that does hosting :-)
Nickel Super Contributor

The real factor is whether they're going to have a remote or not.

With desktop Act!, SDK work is fairly straight forward and if Act! is installed locally, you can use the SDK no problem.  You'd only need deal with field creation issues since that can only be done on the master, so sometimes that makes addons tricky.  For example, QSalesData creates a lot of fields on installation, so initially you either need to do that before going hosted or your hosting provider will need to run that (although I believe RTG for example has a tool to apply that schema for you easily), but then from there you just run QSalesData with a remote.

If you're going straight web, all bets are off and there are limited addons (Designer is the only one I know) that works on web, and even then with limitations.

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Bronze Super Contributor

Len,

Impact Tables List Plus v5 (aka custom tables) supports Act! for web but has limitations such as no support for file and folder picker controls to name two.

As for the other 9 modules in the suite they only work with Act! for windows. 

-- Jim Durkin

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks everyone!

-----------
Marshall Knapp
AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants - Diamond Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com