Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Revisiting DLL won't load

Copper Contributor

Revisiting DLL won't load

I'm stumped here.  One of Geoff's .dll's was working fine on a clients system.  They had a problem and had to reinstall everything from scratch, now the dll won't load.  Here are the specifics.

ACT version 9.0.0

Windows XP Pro

They installed from the original installer, the dll is in the plugins folder.

I deleted dependentdll.xml, reset the toolbars, deleted preferences and even put a newer version of the .dll on their machine all to no avaiil.  The program should appear in the tools menu but there is no response.  Checkjed dependentdll.xml and the plugin is listed.

This doesn't happen often and usually one of the fixes I tried works, but I'm stumped here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Holmes

holmes@cornerstonesolutions.com

Employee

Re: Revisiting DLL won't load

Do any other plug-ins work?

Might be a permission issue to %appdata%

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

In this case I don't know if other plugins work.  The user of the pc is an admin however.  I'm also running into a similar(?) situatrion with another client where one of our plugins works and another does not.  To make it even stranger, if you login to the same system as administrator, both plugins work fine.  Both plugins use the same code to load on startup.

Is is possible there is a "profile" issue at work here?

Scott Holmes

Copper Contributor

I got back with the client and checked the event log.  Other plugins are loading but mine are failing.  I updated ACT to 9.0.1 with no effect.  The log entries for the plugin were...

Informative Message: Attempting to Load plugin C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins\AgeToday.dll

Informative Exception: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
   at System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Act.UI.PluginManager.LoadPlugins()

between the two items was a "plugin loaded"

So... at least I haev some feedback (instead of no response at all) but I'm hoping one of you development gods can help me interpret the meaning here.  Again, this is a system that had a hard drive crash, A new HD was installed and software was installed from scratch.  Same OS same version of ACT etc.

Scott Holmes

Bronze Super Contributor

Maybe the policies are not correct. Have you tried to run "MachineConfigUpdater.exe"?

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

usually when there is "load exceptions" the file permission is off

try resetting the ACL for the act folder to make sure that the user has proper access to the dll files (and any other files that it needs to be able to read/load).. if Admin works fine but not a client user its 99% of the time to do with file permissions..