Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Replacing Act logo with company logo

Copper Contributor

Replacing Act logo with company logo

Hi all,

firstly being a web developer, I'm of the opinion that anything is possible and with a website anything visible can be controlled (and invisible come to it) so here I am thinking simply replacing the Act logo that displays in the top left of the software would be a doddle however I can't work it out.

I looked through all the installation files and actually found the exact same logo in this location 

C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\instcfg\actlogo.bmp so I resized my own to the same dimensions, renamed it actlogo.bmp and replaced with my logo. I was then going to do the same on all other machines running the Act software so they got the new logo too. I then booted up Act and the old act logo is still displaying.

Therefore this logo must be picked up from another location but I can't find it anywhere. I figure that as the same logo is sitting in a local directory then it must be there for a reason so Im a little confused.

It is worth noting that my database is on a server and I connect to the database via a client machine running Act premium so would I need to replace the logo on the server itself? I can't see how this would make any difference.

I was intending on doing quite a bt of cuxtomization such as editing the welcome screen, rewriting some of the css etc. so I haven\'t made a good start!

Nickel Contributor

Re: Replacing Act logo with company logo

If you are referring to the logo in the title bar, chances are you won't be able to change that. From a website perspective, everything has to be loaded in from somewhere at run-time (i.e. when someone views the page). In a desktop application, that's not the case. The images/logos could be loaded at design-time and stored as embedded resources. Depending on the setup, that means things like icon files could actually be compiled into the executable file, so there will be no way to change that at run-time.

From the selling perspective, if I sell a piece of software, I'm going want my branding on it (my name, my logo, etc.). I don't want people changing that, so I would do what I could to prevent it from happening. Allowing people to change that sort of thing could also hurt my standing in regards to trademark laws if I were to ever file a complaint.

Overall, it sounds like you want to create your own UI that interfaces with ACT. If that is the case, you are going to be a good ways into just creating your own entire system. You'd have the front-end done, you would just need the back-end and any middle-tiers. My suggestion is to (re)evaluate what your desired result is when everything is said and done to determine whether or not your current path is feasible and practical.
Copper Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It certainly sounds like it isn't possible then. Don't get me wrong, I understand completely that Act would want their branding on there, I just wasn't sure exactly where it was picked up from therefore figured it must be possible. Having no experience of software development, I was interested to know what could be customized and what couldn't.

Now you've said it, it makes sense that a lot of things are wrapped up inside the .exe to avoid the end user being able to get at it,

I'm actually perfectly happy with act and it does everything I want it to do, it's actually no big deal that I can't change the Act branding but have seen another post on customizing the welcome screen so will have a go at that.

Thanks for your reply.

Copper Elite Contributor

While not permanent or as easy as replacing a file, this can be done fairly easily with a plugin. All you'd have to do is look for the control that contains the logo, which should simply be a .Net PictureBox, and replace the image with the one of your choice. Since every time Act starts, it loads the default logo, you'd have to create your plugin in a way that changes the logo every time, and it should remain in memory until Act is closed.

Ahsan Khalid

Chief Technology Officer
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
www.keystroke.ca

Bronze Super Contributor

Couldn't you just create your logo and name it as the default logo?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David,

if there is an option to do that then please let me know, I haven't noticed that type of setting.

Although like the guys said above, it sounds like Act wouldn't make it that easy to simply remove all trace of their brand.

Copper Contributor

Hi Ahsan,

I'll have a look at the plugin option.

Thanks

Nickel Contributor

@David
That's what john_f attempted and it didn't work. If you are creating your own application, it's not a big deal as you have control over everything. But in this instance, it's dealing with someone else's application, so you have to play by their rules. If they don't allow it (i.e. provided an API to change it), you won't be able to.

Ahsan's method would probably work, but I'd ask if it was even worth doing for icons in the title bars of forms. You'd have to tap into the form_load event of any and every form and change the icon.

Personally speaking, if I found out a company I was dealing with was going out of their way to re-brand someone else's product and sell it to me, I'd be extremely upset and they wouldn't get my business. It just seems deceptive to me. If there was an ACT "OEM" type product, whose purpose was so it could be re-branded by a seller, then by all means go for it.
Copper Contributor

We are using a 3rd party addin which does exactly what you want: replace the act logo in the upper left corner. so creating an addin is definitely a solution to this problem. there is a demo download available and the also have a good Act-related forum (mostly in german) so maybe someone there can help you.

Demo Download:

http://www.melville-schellmann.de/m_download_demos.htm

It's the Actoptimum-Addon.

Copper Contributor

@knif - thanks for the response. It does sound like, after reading your reply, that Ahsan's reply may have been referring to how to do it with my own application and not to replace an existing Act installation (unless I misunderstood?) 

To clear up your last paragraph, I have no intention of rebranding and reselling it. I simply wanted to customize it to my client's brand although now you say that, if it was that easy then I guess people COULD rebrand it and resell it passing it off as their own perhaps.