Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rename ACT! Navigation Bar

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Rename ACT! Navigation Bar

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a way to rename the buttons on the navigation bar on the left. For example instead of Companies it could say Household. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MattRobillard
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Rename ACT! Navigation Bar

here are some other tid bits that you might find handy

'Hide/Show big toolbar

actApp.Controls.Item("brandingTablePanel").Visible = True 'show it

'Add your own button to the big toolbar

actApp.RegisterCommand("act-ui://com.act/application/MyCommands/NewButton0", New Act.UI.CommandHandler(AddressOf NewButton0_Clicked), Act.UI.RegisterType.Shell)

Dim button As CommandBarButton = New CommandBarButton("My Button", "Tooltip here", Nothing, "act-ui://com.act/application/MyCommands/NewButton0", Nothing, Nothing, Act.UI.Core.CommandBarControl.ItemDisplayStyle.ImageAndText, True)

'dont forget to change some of the above to add your own icons etc

Try

'just incase its already there remove it

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection("ACT! Toolbar").ControlCollection.Remove(button)

Catch ex As Exception

Finally

'now add it

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection("ACT! Toolbar").ControlCollection.Add(button)

End Try

'Your Logo in the top left corner

Dim pic As System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox = actApp.Controls.Item("brandingTablePanel").Controls(0)

pic.SizeMode = System.Windows.Forms.PictureBoxSizeMode.StretchImage

pic.Load("Logo.jpg") '<--your logo file

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

i asked for this same thing long ago..

would not have been that hard to have something like an XML file were we could change stock words to a more meaningful user orientated word 

so i wrote a plugin to change itSmiley Happy

Imports Act.UI

Imports Act.Shared.Windows.Forms.Navigation

Public Class ChangeACTNavBarItemText

Implements IPlugin

Dim WithEvents nb As NavBar

Public Sub OnLoad(ByVal App As Act.UI.ActApplication) Implements Act.UI.IPlugin.OnLoad

nb = App.Controls.Item("navbar")

End Sub

Public Sub OnUnLoad() Implements Act.UI.IPlugin.OnUnLoad

End Sub

Private Sub nb_GroupClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As Act.Shared.Windows.Forms.Navigation.GroupEventArgs) Handles nb.GroupClick

If e.Group.Text.ToUpper = "COMPANIES" Then '<-- item you want to change

e.Group.Text = "New Text" '<-- what you want to call it'' once this has been changed ACT does save this setting to a file, but just in case it ever changes again it will be replaced

End If

End Sub

End Class

you have to click the item once.. i couldnt find a setup item to load in to change it.. there would be one somewhere but this was a quick fix.. once its been changed ACT saves it so the next load of ACT it will be set to what you change it too 

hope this helpsSmiley Happy 

Message Edited by ozie on 06-20-2010 02:38 AM
Copper Super Contributor

AMAZING!!! That worked! Thanks so much you are awesome I have been trying to figure it out for so long. Let me know if you find that setup item so that it will show on the first run of ACT!. Also do you have any idea how I might also change everything else that says company. For example the companies menu bar, new company, stuff like that. Basically I have a mortgage company that wants to rename companies to household, and it would be awesome if I could change most things in ACT! to say household instead of company that way they wont get confused. Any ideas or is that way to hard, even if I could only change somet that would be helpful. Let me know, but thanks again for that code.
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

ok found itSmiley Happy

There are 1000's of places that the Companies word pops up.. soooo many

one thing to remember that for menu items etc the & for alt short cut if you still want to use this needs to be made and so that there are not two the same

here are just a few.. on the navbar, big top quick bar, main menu bar and some of the other toolbars and menu items.. you can find the restSmiley Happy

also best to change my code to be the control name not the index number as when users move things around they might get out of orderSmiley Happy

hope it helps 

Dim WithEvents actApp As ActApplication

Const NewTitle As String = "Household"

Const NewTitles As String = "Households"

Private Sub actApp_Open(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles actApp.Open

Try

'now does it need to say XXXX or XXXX's or just XXXXs

nb.Groups("Companies").Text = NewTitle

nb.Groups("Companies").NavigationPaneCollapsedGroupAreaText = NewTitle

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection(1).ControlCollection(0).SubItems(2).Text = "New " & NewTitle

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection(0).ControlCollection(9).Text = NewTitles

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection(0).ControlCollection(2).SubItems(5).Text = NewTitles

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub actApp_ViewLoaded(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As Act.UI.ViewEventArgs) Handles actApp.ViewLoaded

If actApp.CurrentViewName = "Act.UI.ICompanyDetailView" Then

'actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection(3).ControlCollection(0).Text = NewTitles

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection("Company Detail Toolbar").ControlCollection(0).Text = NewTitles

End If

End Sub

Message Edited by ozie on 06-22-2010 04:49 PM
Solution
Accepted by topic author MattRobillard
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

here are some other tid bits that you might find handy

'Hide/Show big toolbar

actApp.Controls.Item("brandingTablePanel").Visible = True 'show it

'Add your own button to the big toolbar

actApp.RegisterCommand("act-ui://com.act/application/MyCommands/NewButton0", New Act.UI.CommandHandler(AddressOf NewButton0_Clicked), Act.UI.RegisterType.Shell)

Dim button As CommandBarButton = New CommandBarButton("My Button", "Tooltip here", Nothing, "act-ui://com.act/application/MyCommands/NewButton0", Nothing, Nothing, Act.UI.Core.CommandBarControl.ItemDisplayStyle.ImageAndText, True)

'dont forget to change some of the above to add your own icons etc

Try

'just incase its already there remove it

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection("ACT! Toolbar").ControlCollection.Remove(button)

Catch ex As Exception

Finally

'now add it

actApp.Explorer.CommandBarCollection("ACT! Toolbar").ControlCollection.Add(button)

End Try

'Your Logo in the top left corner

Dim pic As System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox = actApp.Controls.Item("brandingTablePanel").Controls(0)

pic.SizeMode = System.Windows.Forms.PictureBoxSizeMode.StretchImage

pic.Load("Logo.jpg") '<--your logo file

Hi I am probably being a bit dense but I am trying to rename the companies link in Act 2011 had a go but not yet suceeded and help would be greatly welcome!

Copper Contributor

I love that. Would you be willing to share the DLL so I can add it to my plugin folder?

Copper Contributor

Hey guys,

I need some help on this. I am re purposing our Act 2007 to be used as a contract management system, everything seems to work just fine however I would like to rename contacts to contracts to make it easy for our users.

I have seen the code provided for this question but am not sure where to start, which file to edit or how to add a plugin. I would appreciate guidance on this!