Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recording time of field change via GUID

Nickel Elite Contributor

Recording time of field change via GUID

This happens to be regarding ACT 2009, but probably applies to all versions.

I know that in the Opportunity Stage field, when changed, it will insert a History item regarding that field change - as it will if you set any field to record on change.  However, the actual "important" data is in the record text - e.g. Field <xyz> changed from "foo" to "bar"

What I'd like to do is actually record a History Item that records the picklist GUID of the new field, which can then be used to report on WHEN the field was changed to that value, allowing a timeline report of stages in the Opportunity Process, or any other picklist field that is used. (which will allow the picklist text to be changed without rewriting the query)

Example:

1. on change from <blank> to foo, the History item Result (Type?) would be 6353F9F0-D105-4041-A65C-00122ED27E5E, along with a DateTimeStamp.
  2. Then when foo is changed to bar, a new entry would be F556333B-AF99-4489-98C8-0030D73753AC, with another timestamp.

You now can run reports that show a timeline of the "stages" of the Contact.  Also, if there is some functionality already in ACT, or an addon, that would be great as well.  Thanks...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Employee

Re: Recording time of field change via GUID

Sounds interesting, what portion of this task do have questions regarding?

If you're able to capture a field via the FieldChanged event, and the picklist associtaed with the combo box, the ID is a public property. We would also have access to the current date and time via System.DateTime. With these two peices of information creating a history using them is pretty straightforward.

If any portion of this is unclear or you need more specifics let me know.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Nickel Elite Contributor

I've changed what I want to do (or at least what I think I want to do), and that's monitor FieldChange events on an individual Opportunity.  If that's possible, like it is on Contacts or Companies:

AddHandler ActApp.ApplicationState.CurrentContact.ContactFields.FieldChanged, AddressOf Contact_FieldChanged

this might do what I need.  However, unless I'm not searching correctly, I cannot find this in the SDK documentation.  This is ACT 2009 dlls.  Thanks!

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Employee

The verion requirement here may be an issue. It was in the 2010 version that opportunities became a top level entity and prior to then were just a subentity of contacts.

I'd suspect it may still be possible, though I'm not sure how straightforward it'd be. I didn't work with the SDK until the 2010 version so I don't have any experience working with opportunities prior to then. I can look into it though and let you know what I find out.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator