Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question from a newbie!

Tuned Listener

Question from a newbie!

Hi,

Just starting developing on ACT!, however I've done VSTO projects.

I believe I have got the SDK from the website but I don't see the dll reference to include them in my project, I presume I need to install a full version of ACT! to get those dll's??

I could see from the code samples, that builing a visible toolbar on ACT! is possible, am I right? my main objective is to be able to access contacts from my project and make searches agains different criteria.

In case I would be able to create the command bar (ACT! toolbar), can I access it's captions from a different threads? Any known issues so far?

Thanks for the answer in advance.

Joe
.NET Developer
Copper Contributor

Re: Question from a newbie!

Hey Joe,

The reference dlls are found either on the CD or in the download of the program in the GlobalAssemblyCache Folder

E.X.:From an ACT! 2007 Download - Default extract location.
C:\ACT!2007\PremiumEX\ACTWG\GlobalAssemblyCache\

Technically, you could develop on a machine that does not have ACT! installed with some addional steps listed in other posts on this forum, easier jus to install it however.

As to your second question: Since it sounds like you'll be using ACT! Menu items to perform your lookups you shouldn't have any threading problems as far as I can see.

Carlton Jones
Sage Software
Tuned Listener

Thank you very much for the kind reply. I have received ACT! packages both Standard and Premium and I installed standart and all the references worked.

However, I'd like to know if I would like a product to be compatible with:
1. ACT! 2005(v7.0) Regular and Premium for Workgroups.
2. ACT! 2006(v8.0) Regular and premium for Workgroups.
3. ACT! 2007(v9.0) Regular and premium for Workgroups.
4. ACT! 2008(v10.0) Regular and premium.

and I'll be developing for ACT! 2008 (v.10.0) which i just installed it in my dev pc, will the product work for the versions mentioned above?

Other question: Does a "plug-in" referred in the documentation means code that can load and run when ACT! runs (like Outlook Addins)? if not what exactly I'll be looking for? I just want to build a toolbar in ACT that has buttons and popupmenus.

Thanks again.

Joe
.NET Developer
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

One additional note:

If you want to be backwards compatible you need to get the earliest assemblies that you'd like to support.

EX:
If you want your plugin to work for version 8.0+ you need to build your application/framework off the earliest build of version 8.0 assemblies.
Then you should be able to use your program in all versions after 8.0 (9.0 and 10.0) as long as you use the only the supported assemblies.

For your second question:

Plugins, Addins, and App, generally refer to a program that runs within and with the ACT! by Sage executable.
Framework refers to a program that runs 'outside' of ACT!

Message Edited by Carlton_Jones on 03-07-2008 12:19 PM
Carlton Jones
Sage Software
Tuned Listener

Thanks Carl, I'll make sure to put some more efforts looking for threads before posting. Please bare with me a bit till I get my hands real dirty with act.

Thanks again.

Joe
.NET Developer
Copper Contributor

Hey Joe, no problem.

It’s out of my own unwillingness (laziness?) to retype things that I linked to that thread.

It definitely a important detail that needs to be highlighted as much as possible for new SDK developers.

Smiley Happy

Carlton Jones
Sage Software
Copper Contributor

Tuned Listener

Thanks David,

I'm reading it now. Thanks for the help.

Joe
.NET Developer
Copper Elite Contributor

There were some functional changes in 8.0.1(or .2, can't remember) and an opportunity bugfix in 10.0.1, both changes related to Opportunity functionality, something to keep in mind when deciding which build to build against, but meaningless unless you are using opportunities in your code.
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Tuned Listener

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the posting, where do I find those fixes?

Thanks againg!

Joe
.NET Developer