Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Plugin refuses to load on some machines

Plugin refuses to load on some machines

I am currently supporting a collection of plugins originally written by another developer.  I have had several incidents where come of the plugins won't load when ACT starts.  the dll is in the plugins folder but it will not display in the tools menu (where it is supposed to display).  It is not isolated to only one plugin in the collection.

Deleting preferences and resetting toolbars/menus have no effect.  To make it even odder, other plugins from the same collection (using the same code to initialize) load properly.  all plugins load fine on my machines.

It does not appear to be specific to a version of ACT.  In the latest case it was version 10.  The plugin for that was compiled for versions 9 and above.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Plugin refuses to load on some machines

Check Dependentdll.xml and ACTLOG.xml for more information.  You can also turn on tracing in ACT! to view a ton more information.  Chances are it is a build version error.  I have ACT 2000, and ACT 2006 - 2010 running on various machines if you want help...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thanks! Could you clarify "Build Version Error"? 
Nickel Elite Contributor

Often an add-on will reference many ACT! dlls.  If you are referenceing a dll for ACT! version 11.1.183, then it will most likely NOT work for an earlier version such as 10.0.3.182.  You could have all the other one's correct, but that one rogue reference *could* be causing the issue.  You might be able to see this info in ACTLOG.xml
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com