Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Plugin access to Act assemblies

Tuned Listener

Plugin access to Act assemblies

I have built a plugin for Act 10 and a client has installed it in a workstation on his network, which carries Act 10 set up as the normal server/client arrangement. We are both using Windows XP.

The plugin works if he logs into the workstation at Administrator level, but logging in as a User (restricted access to all sorts of things) Act produces an error on startup that indicates it cannot access Act.Framework or one of its components, and has to be shut down. If my plugin is removed, a login as a User results in a fully working Act.

At first I thought that this might be a version issue - the same error is produced if the plugin is installed on an Act version older than the one on which it was built - but this is not the case here.

Any thoughts, solutions, etc.?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Plugin access to Act assemblies

Are you access the framework before the user enters his/her credentials?

Can you post a code example?

thanks

-- jim durkin 

Tuned Listener

The first access to the framework within the plugin is in the OnLoad event handler - that is, before the user logs into the databse.

(Of course that is after the user has logged into the wiorkstation!!!) A general Act error sometimes accurs at this point, but not always. That error provides no information, and requires Act to be shut down. If we get through that, the next access to framework is in a menu item click handler. This produces the Act error 'Cannot load file or assembly 'Act.Framework, etc etc' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.' (The 'etc. etc.' is the string identifying the item by version culture and public key.)

The plugin was built in Visual Studio 2005, with references for Act.Framework etc. assemblies pointing to the assembly listings in WINDOWS\assembly folder. The various code listings each have Import statements for all the namespaces used.

The erros only occur when the login to the workstation is for a user with quite severe access restrictions - I'm still trying to find out what they are.

Bronze Super Contributor

Can u isolate the conditions when the error occurs?  Can you post the try/catch information?

It may help diagnose the problem.

-- jim durkin