Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Plugin Deployment

Copper Contributor

Plugin Deployment

by russell.jones on 01-08-2008 6:03 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to deploy an act plug-in. The plugin consists of a few dlls and various other files xml, css etc.  Using reflection I can discover whether Act is installed and if so return a Path to the install folder.  I'm now trying to use this value to configure a .Net deployment project but it seems I can't programatically changed the install path as custom actions are executed after the install has completed.

How do other people package act plugins?

Russell

Copper Contributor

Re: Plugin Deployment

by TDavis on 01-08-2008 8:41 AM

Personally I create a Setup Project and then set the Application folder to c:\program files\act\act for windows\plugins or c:\program files\act\act for web\plugins depending on whether its a standard or web plugin.  During the install wizard if act is not installed in the default location the user can click browse and select the appropriate directory.

Tom

Copper Contributor

by russell.jones on 01-08-2008 9:11 AM

I thought of doing that but it seems such a shame to have to get user input when it's so easy to programatically determine where the act folder is, especially as many of the users of our application are not IT admins and may get confused by things like filepaths and program files directories etc.

I'd really like the first request for info from the user to be the configuration wizard for my application.

Thanks for the reply though, at least I know that I'm not the only person who's run into this issue.

Russell

Copper Contributor

by rscherrer on 01-10-2008 3:57 AM

Hi

I am adding a Registry-Search in 'Launch Conditions'  of the Installer Project by using following Settings:

(Name): Search for Installpath of ACT 

PropertyName: ACT_INST_PATH

Root: vsdrrHKLM

RegKey: SOFTWARE\Act\Install

Value: InstallPath

Then in the File System Section of the Installer Project I set the DefaultLocation property to

[ACT_INST_PATH]\Plugins 

This causes the installer to automatically copy the files to the plugin folder 

Reto

Reto Scherrer
Ambit AG
Switzerland
Copper Contributor

by russell.jones on 01-10-2008 8:31 AM

Thank you,

That looks like it might be just the thing I'm looking for.

Russell

Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
I use NSIS to deploy, here is an example installer, while this is a very simple example, I just love using NSIS because it's very lightweight, fast, and the entire configuration is just a text file =)

Name Random Installer

OutFile "Random_Plugin.exe"

InstallDirRegKey HKLM \
"SOFTWARE\ACT\Install" \
"InstallPath"

Page instfiles
Section ""
SetOutPath $INSTDIR\Plugins\
File C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows\Plugins\Random_Plugin.dll
SectionEnd

Message Edited by nbohne on 02-28-2008 05:30 PM
Nick Bohne