Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Plug-in issue on ACT 2010

Plug-in issue on ACT 2010

Hi,

I have developed a plug-in using C# .Net. When I deploy the application in ACT 2009 it works fine. In one of the machine's where ACT 2010 is installed it works fine too. But, I tried installing on another two machines with ACT 2010, my application Icon is not created on the CommandBar.

I'm creating a menu item under "Write" menu and also creating a icon on the Command bar. In my code, I'm accessing the command bar as shown below:

CommandBar contactDetail = application.Explorer.CommandBarCollectio["Contact Detail Toolbar"] as CommandBar;

I checked the DependentDlls.xml file, but the main plug-in application is not in that file. When I used the LogViewer.exe, I saw some errors but, when I uninstall my application I can see the following errors related to ActClass.

Error 1

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at act.ActClass.addMenuItem(String urn, String MenuText, CommandHandler Handler, Boolean hasSeparator, String iconfile, Boolean toolbar, String toolbarname, ItemDisplayStyle style)
   at act.ActClass.addMenuItem(String urn, String MenuText, CommandHandler Handler, Boolean hasSeparator, String iconfile, Boolean toolbar)
   at SMSActPlugin.PluginMain.addSMSForActMenus()
   at SMSActPlugin.PluginMain.AfterLogon(Object Sender, EventArgs e)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Act.Shared.Utilities.WeakMulticastDelegate.InvokeSafe(Object[] args)
from Act.UI.ActApplication.OnAfterLogon() in :line 0

Error 2

Error Message: ActApplication::BackgroundLoadView - ViewPacket was not created with ViewManager.GetView call.

Error 3

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at act.ActClass.removeMenuItem(String urn, Boolean toolbar, String toolbarname)
   at act.ActClass.removeMenuItem(String urn, Boolean toolbar)
   at SMSActPlugin.PluginMain.BeforeLogoff(Object Sender, EventArgs e)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Act.Shared.Utilities.WeakMulticastDelegate.InvokeSafe(Object[] args)
from Act.UI.ActApplication.OnBeforeLogoff() in :line 0

Can you please help me with the following:

1. Why are the above errors seen without installing my application?

2. What are the dependencies for a plug-in to work? For example, does it need MSXML 4.0, Microsoft Office installed in the PC etc?

3. When I use the Menu item, I get the following error "Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided". The heading shows this is from "ACT! by Sage"

4. Why is my application working on one machine with ACT 2010 and not on another with ACT 2010?

I would really appreciate if you could help me with it.

Thanks in advance! 

Employee

Re: Plug-in issue on ACT 2010

1. The errors could be unrelated to your application, have you checked any of the other machines that do not have this plug-in or have it and is working to see if they have the same logs.

2. A plug-in can be made with only two dll dependencies, outside of those .net obviously and the current parser would have been installed with the sql installation that occurred when act was installed.

3.  Hard to say without knowing what file it's looking for, was there any more detailed information about this error?

4. Could be a lot of things. You could try running fuslogvw.exe to see if there are any binding failures

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Elite Contributor

So it works on one 2010 machine, and not another.  Assuming there isn't any horribly bad code in your application, it's probably a damaged Act install.  Download the .net cleanup tool, uninstall Act, run .net cleanup, remove .net 2.0.  reboot, install .net 2.0, install Act, try it again.

-Nick

Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

Thanks for all the answers..

Manage to solve this issue by deleting the Application Data folder for ACT and restarting ACT.