Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open Group or Contact by URL?

Open Group or Contact by URL?

We use ACT! 2008 Premium in our office.

When I worked with another CRM system, SalesLogix, we were able to create URL's that would open contacts or groups in the desktop software.  Does ACT! have this ability?  And if so, how does one build a URL?

Thanks. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Open Group or Contact by URL?

I asked this question a while back and as I recall the parameter list was quite small. Something like -nooffice, -nostatus, -nosplash

-- Jim Durkin

"God bless Mr. Roeder"

Well, I'll start with anything I can get - big or little parameter list.

Does anyone know where I can find the documentation on opening ACT desktop via URL?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Application launching like this is tricky.  In SalesLogix we accomplish this through the COM interface that desktop client has always had.  In the web client of course URLable context launching is more obviously available, but I don't currently know of a way to do this in ACT! Windows client. 

As an interesting aside the Welcome page in ACT! 2010 has a Javascript function which does some desktop client navigation, but it doesn't look like it's capable of accepting record  ID params.  I'll ask around but I'm not hopeful this can be done.

Allen

Cool.  Thanks.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Just to clarify my previous statement about application launching being "tricky" -

App launching tends to be challenging for ANY product not just ACT!  The OS and application security layers need to be negotiated, session management for some clients need to be handled, UI navigation and record ID portability across different datasources need to be taken into account.  

Sage as a whole has looked at URLable Application launching, but for now there is no standard which the individual Sage applications adhere to in order to support this feature (if it's supported at all).

This being said there are some technology initiatives that are ongoing which could make these types of requestsmore technically feasible in the future.