Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

OLE Error

OLE Error

I had some issues with my computere where I was developing an ACT! plugin with Visual Studio 2008.  I moved the project to my VS 2012 computer and I am having a new problem.

When I run the plugin from within ACT, I am now getting an error, The ACTOLEDB.1 provider is not registered on the local machine.

Since I am now compiling from a 64bit version of windows, I wonder if there is some setting/settings in VS 2012 that are not correct.

Any help is appreciated!

Larry

Silver Super Contributor

Re: OLE Error

I would just go ahead and register the dll.  It's called actoledb.dll and it's in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Act\Act for Windows" folder.  That version of the OLEDB interface has been deprecated and has been removed from ACT! v16.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thank you for your reply.

I am ACT! CC and have been since 2005.  I wrote this application 2 years ago and had not a reason to modify until the past few weeks and I figured that I would bring it up to snuff with the newer version of ACT!

I tried  registering the actole dll and and am receiving the same error.

What is the best way of handling this?

Larry

Silver Super Contributor

Did you get a message that the registration succeeded?  Sometimes you have to run the regsvr32.exe as an administrator.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

ACTOLEDB.DLL was not included in the v16 distribuition at all to my knowledge.  Just to try it, I copied the file from my 2013 install directory and regsvr32 it.

That got me a bit further...now I get a different error.   Invalid Object Name VRP_CONTACT.    The code block involved is included below...if there is a better or easier way of doing it, I am very interested...

Thank you for your help in this....   Larry

Dim ole AsString

ole = ACTTabPluginVB.actole

Dim count, q AsInteger

Dim lotn, name, name1, address, address1 AsString

Dim conn AsNew OleDb.OleDbConnection(ole)

conn.Open()

olecmd.Parameters.Clear()

With olecmd

'    .CommandText = "Select contact.[contact contactID],contact.[contact Business_Email] from VRP_Contact"

'     .CommandText = "Select TOP 1 * from VRP_Contact"

.CommandText =

"Select [contact lot],[contact contact],[contact owner1first],[contact owner2first],[contact Address 1] from VRP_Contact"

.CommandType =

CommandType.Text

.Connection = conn

EndWith

Silver Super Contributor

You're going to have to switch to using the OLEDB2 interface if you want your program to work with ACT! v16.  The VRP_CONTACT view isn't in the ACT! database anymore.  You're going to need to use the CONTACT view and some of the column names are different too.  All of the VRP_ views were OLEDB1 views and aren't there anymore.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Thank you.  Glad I found this out before I upgraded my customers to v16.

OK...still trying to sort through this.

If I want to use ole2 only, I assume would have to start out with something like:

ActFramework ACTFM = new ActFramework();

ACTFM.LogOn("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\My Documents\\ACT\\Act for Win 8\\Databases\\Act8Demo.pad", "Chris Huffman","");

the idea being to fillup the rows array with information that I could then use to populate a secondary table.  The Rows array was being filled by:

With olecmd

"Select [contact lot],[contact contact],[contact owner1first],[contact owner2first],[contact Address 1] from VRPContact"

and I was then using the rows array resulting from that to populate my secondary table:

name = oleds.Tables(0).Rows(count)("contact contact").ToString

what would the proper way to do that under OLE2?

Thanks!

Larry

Silver Super Contributor

It would probably be more like:

With olecmd

"Select [lot],[contact],[owner1first],[owner2first],[Address 1] from Contact"

name = oleds.Tables(0).Rows(count)("contact").ToString

I haven't actually written anything directly accessing the OLEDB interface in a while.  I usually directly access the SQL tables and find what I'm looking for by linking them myself.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

that was my first thought, but does not appear to work unless I register actoledb.dll from act 2013, which I would really prefer not to do.

How would you pull that info from that contact table?  I am always open and interested in learning.

Larry