Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie: Getting current contact info using a standalone .EXE application

Tuned Listener

Newbie: Getting current contact info using a standalone .EXE application

I'm writing a standalone .exe application that needs to get the current contact information on the contact displayed in ACT!2008. I need to get the value of several fields, including a custom field, work with the information, and write an entry to the History tab.

The challenge I'm running into is... how to get the current contact info. Would anyone have a few lines of code to spare?

I'd like to code in VB but C# is OK - I can convert.

THANKS for your help!

Kim Kamper 

Astute Commentator

Re: Newbie: Getting current contact info using a standalone .EXE application

I would like to do exactly what you are talking about, although I have ACT2011. Also, I'm a newbie and I've never written a standalone .exe file before, how do you create one?

Employee

There's no way to get the current contact from an application that only has framework level access, it simply has no context to know what is being displayed in the application. In order to do this you must write a plugin that implements IPlugin and therefore has access to the ActApplication object. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Astute Commentator

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good to know. Is there a reference about how to go about making a plugin?

Employee

There certainly is, contained within the SDK download are two code samples, one of which is a plugin that adds a new menu item.

The short version is you need to add a reference to Act.UI and then have your class implement Act.UI.IPlugin. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator