Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbe Logon issue?

Copper Contributor

Newbe Logon issue?

Hey All-

I wrote a small application that logs onto the ActFwk and deletes some custom entities. It worked fine on Server 2003, I move the code to Server 2008 and I catch the following error:

Error number: 5 Error in the application

This is occurring when I try to log into the database. Any idea how this would change between the 2 server versions?

At this point, all I've done is read the pad location/name, login and password from a file and then call this line:

ActFwk.LogOn(sPADFilePath, sActUserName, sUserPassword)

Ben Leong
Certified ACT! Consultant
www.accentgold.com
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Newbe Logon issue?

Ben,

Error Number 5 means "Access is denied."  Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thanks, Stan.
Are we talking a File Access denied, or a DB Login Access Denied?
Ben Leong
www.accentgold.com
Employee

If it were a login failure I'd expect to see a InvalidLogonException thrown and not Error 5, so I'd lean towards file access.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

I'm really stumped on even what could be stopping me. I can log into the same DB logged in as the same person (domain admin). The DB is shared and in a folder right off the C: drive.

I get the same error using the logon method using either the pad file or the hostname/dbName. 

Really hard to debug since it works fine on my machine where I can step through.

Any other trees I can bark up?

Ben Leong
www.accentgold.com
Platinum Super Contributor

Have you tried disabling the antivirus software on the problem machine? Or adding ACT! and SQL exceptions to the antivirus software.
Greg Martin
Sage
Employee

Can you provide the full exception that is thrown?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Okay, sorry for not giving you the whole message in the first place. It would have saved me time too. Here's the first line and the rest is attached:

Act.Framework.ProductVersionMismatchException: Error in the application

I'm compiling with Act.Framework.dll 13.0.401.0, it seems to be the same version on the server.

Does it matter that I have ACT Premium (13.0.401.0hf2) on my development computer, but am moving the .exe file to Act for WEB (13.0.401.0hf2)? I attached my VS2008 references just in case.

Does this make it more clear for you masters of the trade?

Ben Leong
www.accentgold.com
Silver Super Contributor

Ben,

Kevin Ritch asked me about that same error message.  I don't know if he ever found the solution.  Don Egen posted in another thread that the issue was what type of chip the compiler is directing the output to.  Try changing it to x86.  It's in the Compile section under Advanced but you have to be using something other than the Express version of Visual studio to be able to see it.  There is a way to do it with the Express version but I'll let you find that one on your own if that's the version you're using.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

Just to add to what Stan has already written, which I agree could be the cause of the issue. The other time that I see this error message is when I'm trying to connect to a database that isn't the same version as the one installed. So for instance if I have 13.0 installed, but the database is still on 12.0 it will throw this exception.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator