Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Guy, missing something very basic here.

Loyal Listener

New Guy, missing something very basic here.

I'm missing something very basic. I downloaded the ACT SDK and it appears to be entirely docuemntation. How do I install the ACT class library so that my programs recognize ACT objects and methods?
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: New Guy, missing something very basic here.

Find this directory on your install cd, or extracted installer directory, example below

C:\ACT!2010\PremiumEX\ACTWG\GlobalAssemblyCache

Copy those to a folder somewhere, and give the folder the act version name, eg 12.0 so you know what version it is when you build.

Add assemblies as needed

Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Copper Contributor

Nick,

Can you help point me to where you figured out the concept of "as needed" for the assemblies.  I have been pouring through every bit of documentation I can find on how to do what should be a pretty simple task of enabling a VB.Net project to communicate with ACT via the Framework and just cannot find a comprehensive guide as to what assemblies, configurations, or permissions are needed to enable this to work.  As of now I cannot even execute a Framework.Logon method against the sample DB using the Chris Huffman login.

Any help will be appreciated.

Larry

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

You could add them all to your project if you want, doesn't really matter.  But you only really need to load the ones you are using, i.e. Act.Framework and some shared ones
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Employee

Nbohne is absolutely right. In general adding Act.Framework, Act.Shared.Collections and Act.Shared.Diagnostics you'll have all your bases covered for application that only need to access the framework. For plugins add Act.UI and Act.UI.Core. I usually just copy the entire GAC to somewhere easily accessible and once you've added it one time to a project it'll be listed in the recently used tab.
Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator