Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need to display report when click button

Need to display report when click button

I need to popup the report when I click custom button, which will be company layout. the report contents will be external sql database. I would like to know whether we need to create the report in ACT itself or external program (C#), how to link table to report and how to trigger to show the report in ACT.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Need to display report when click button

Would it be a link to file elsewhere in the network, on the workstation, etc. What format would the report be in? Crystal? Something else. 

We really need more info.

There is an field option that can be a url. Or an option under documents tab that would allow you to access data stored on a network drive, online storage site, etc.

But the question still comes up as to what format will the report be in and what app needs to be launched to view it.

Best Regards,
Terry Williams
TMW Consulting
Sacramento, CA

Thank you for reply.

I have put a custom field "CUSTNO" in Company layout and I have put a custom button "Import to VP", when click this button. Company data will be exported to external SQL table. This is done and written in the C# code and make the dll and put to the Tools folder in ACT. This is working fine.

Like wise I need to put another custom button "Invoice Report", when I click this button I need to create a dataset/table from external SQL table based on the criteria given in custom field "CUSTNO" and show a report on the ACT (This is related to invoice information of the given customer). I knew the code for connecting ACT database as well as external SQL database.

I need the solution where we need to create a report (is possible I can create report ACT itself), how to binding with result query and how to trigger the my custom report.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

You could always just use .NET to create and show the report. It's a bit of a hassle, but perfectly doable. It could be included in the dll you used for the button.