Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help with ACT! database integrattion

Employee

Re: Need help with ACT! database integrattion

Just to confirm what Mike has already said, Read access can be gained via OLEDB or ODBC connections, Write access however will require the SDK and as a result some coding in .Net.

Apologies for not responding sooner, I was hesitatnt due to my complete ignorance regarding Delphi and Paradox. However based on what I've read so far, you really wouldn't need to do a great dea lof coding on the Act side, basically just updating fields. This isn't too difficult and there are great deal of examples here on the board and if you do run into any specific issues we'd be glad to be of assistance.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I had originally wanted to connect to the ACT! database via ACTOLEDB, but I had trouble getting a connection string to work. (See my post.) With a little help from Matthew (), I was able to get the SDK working pretty easily; I'm glad I went that route, and I'd recommend it.

I hadn't done any .NET programming prior to last week, and I'm having no trouble learning it. If you're an experienced programmer, and you are (very) familiar with object-oriented programming, you should have no trouble with it.

I read/viewed the powerpoint presentation and visited the related links and it was somewhat informative, so thanks for that nugget.

If I do choose to keep the main database separate for ease of programming, is there a way to QUICKLY import and maybe automatically import a set of records into ACT! so that it can then work it's magic <outlook integration> I understand that Act! can import data by manually going thru a set of menu commands and filling in wizard forms etc... But can Act! REMEMBER the import so that the next time, you just click one button or click on a favorite or something sot hat it's easier the next time around? That might suffice for my needs

Thanks

Davie

Employee

Act does have a native import feature but only supports certain formats; other act databases, outlook, excel and text delimited files. I'm not sure if any of those will accomodate your needs. There is not a way, native to the program, to automate this however.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Okay, I broke down and got Visual Studio Premium. I created a simple program to access some data with an access database. Not too hard.

NOW, I want to create a SIMPLE database in act. I would comprise 2 tables.

Table 1.  2 fields (Name, Account number)

Table 2.  2 fields(account number, money deposited)

Very simple, I want a screen that has a PULLDOWN(combobox) that the user can select a name, and then when selected, it will use the associated account number to read the table2 and display the money deposited.

I know this may sound like a "BABY" project, but I feel that if I can get this to work, that I can probably figure out most of what I need to do.

Conclusion:

So, if someone out there in Act! land can whip up this simple project and zip it up and somehow get it to me, I would very much appreciate it. See, I'm totally new to this visual studio sdk for Act!

Thanks in advance

Davier

Bronze Super Contributor

Davier,

Cheek out this thread. http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-Downloads/Custom-Sub-Entity-Visual-Studio-Template/td...

There is a postong from Xavier Musy to download the ACT! SDK custom table example.

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin