Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NEWBIE to Act! 2008 SDK: Sample add-on request

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

NEWBIE to Act! 2008 SDK: Sample add-on request

Good aftenoon,

I'm familiar with programming in .NET (vb.net and c#) and COM (VBA) but need some assistance getting starting with the SDK. Currently using Act! 2008 and Visual Studio 2005 & 2008.

I registered and downloaded the SDK but would really like a sample plug-in which I can tear apart and rebuild. I thought the SDK included a full application and source code but cannot find it on my system.

I'd like something that shows how to start from scratch and create a plug-in. I assume I start by creating a class library but then what? Any special declarations necessary? How do I debug the plug-in? How do I deploy it?

For what it's worth, my first app will be something that imports contacts from a native Excel file (XLS and/or XSLX). Eventually I hope to expand it to include some duplcate scanning and postal address standardization. All of this will be just for fun, a learning experience, and to say "I did that". There are probably some tools out there that already do this but how much fuin is it to buy something and download it? Kinda geeky, I know, but what can you expect from a code monkey?!?! 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If a commerical product already exists to do this, please let me know so I can take a look for ideas or possible gotchas.

Thanks,

Scott

Employee

Re: NEWBIE to Act! 2008 SDK: Sample add-on request

Scott,

I would recommend taking a look at the ACT! SDK Training Session Material, which includes a plugin template and presentation which does have content related to debugging.  If you run into issues running, check out this post:  My Add-on No Longer Works, What Now?

Tuned Listener

Re: NEWBIE to Act! 2008 SDK: Sample add-on request

I want to run my utility only when a menu item is picked. I assume I can delete the onload, unload, beforelogon, etc, etc. event handlers? How do I add a menu and menu item to launch my utility? Wheredo I place the menu name and menu item name, for example?

The suggested materials are somewhat helpful but I'm still a little lost trying to get started.

Thanks,

Scott