Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving custom fields out of spillover tables (so fields will work with Web Info tab)

Copper Super Contributor

Moving custom fields out of spillover tables (so fields will work with Web Info tab)

[ Edited ]

Custom secondary contacts tab

I'm migrating away from the built in "Secondary Contacts" tab so I can create custom fields in my own Secondary Contacts tab, particularly for linkedin info (e.g. connection requested, accepted, not found etc).  Imaginatively, I'm calling this tab "NEW Secondary Contacts" for now.

Web Info links, based on secondary contacts not working

I wanted to create links on "Web Info" that would automatically search for the contacts on linkedin, using these custom contact name fields on "NEW Secondary Contacts".

Bu the links are not working properly.  Any text within those fields is just being ignored (but the rest of the link works OK).

Combined field lengths have exceeded...the cause?

I noticed I'm getting the "Combined field lengths have exceeded the maximum for the database table.  Resize or delete other fields before increasing the length of this one".

Unless anyone has any alternative ideas on why the text isn't being grabbed in my links, I'm assuming its because these new custom fields are in a spillover table?  I learnt about spillover tables from this thread:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Error-quot-Combined-field-lengths-have-exceeded-max-for-databas...

Questions

Q1. If I get rid of enough fields / reduce lengths to prevent this message from happening when I resize fields, will my custom fields automatically be moved out of a spillover table and into the main table?

Q1. If I get rid of fields from the Company fields list, will this help to reduce my bytes count for Contacts, or are the Contact and Company areas completely seperate?

TIA,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving custom fields out of spillover tables (so fields will work with Web Info tab)

drmiller wrote:

Questions

Q1. If I get rid of enough fields / reduce lengths to prevent this message from happening when I resize fields, will my custom fields automatically be moved out of a spillover table and into the main table?

No. You would need to make space on the base table and then delete and field from the spillover table and re-add it to the database.

Q1. If I get rid of fields from the Company fields list, will this help to reduce my bytes count for Contacts, or are the Contact and Company areas completely seperate?

No, Contact anf Company are separate database tables.

These don't sound like real secondary contacts. Why don't you add them as regular contacts and then connect the contacts together using relationships?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Moving custom fields out of spillover tables (so fields will work with Web Info tab)

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your help. I have removed quite a few old fields that I can remove.

Roy_Laudenslage wrote:

These don't sound like real secondary contacts. Why don't you add them as regular contacts and then connect the contacts together using relationships?

Over 90% of my contacts are leads and in probably 99% of cases, there is only one person I can realistically sell to at an organisation.  I don't want my database cluttered with people who I only want on linked in. 

Re: linkedin...for example, a Web Developer might not be the person contact to sell to, so I keep them as a secondary.  But I want that Developer on linkedin, because a) when he/she changes to a new company, they might be the best contact, b) new contacts expand my 1st/2nd linkedin network.

I think having a database with only primary contacts that you engage with makes life a whole lot easier, especially when auditing. 

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, so I have followed your advice and its all sorted now - thanks very much. 

A note to others...make sure you are far enough below the threshold to add your fields and still remain below the threshold.  That's the mistake I made.  Create the field THEN test by increasing a fieldsize to see if the message is triggered.

Additionally, I think Memo fields have a big impact on the size of tables. 

I'm running Act 2011.

If you follow this article re: testing whether fields are in the main table or spillover tables...

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Error-quot-Combined-field-lengths-have-exceeded-max-for-databas...

...the key line to look at is: OLEDB2) Column.  

• [CONTACT] = main table.  
  • [ContactTable1_044935] (I guess your number might be different) = spillover table.

ACT! Field: Web Site                                          ACT! Fieldtype: URL Address(128)
Physical Column: CONTACTWEBADDRESS                              Physical Datatype: NVARCHAR(128)
OLE/DB Column: CONTACT Web Site
OLEDB2) Column: [CONTACT].[WEB_SITE]

ACT! Field: Secondary Contact - 09 Contact                    ACT! Fieldtype: Character(50)
Physical Column: CUST_SecondaryContact09Contac_112817512        Physical Datatype: NVARCHAR(50)
OLE/DB Column: CONTACT TABLE 1 Secondary Contact - 09 Contact
OLEDB2) Column: [ContactTable1_044935].[Secondary Contact - 09 Contact]